Intermittent reminder to please consider a $US1/month ‘voluntary subscription’ via our Patreon to help support the Grail (or you can give a one-off donation easily at PayPal.me/DailyGrail). Thanks!
- Communing with the dead: a photographer spent 20 years documenting seánces.
- Archaeologists say they have found a gold leaf-covered mummy sealed inside a sarcophagus that had not been opened for 4,300 years.
- Mysterious 12-sided Roman object found in Belgium may have been used for magical rituals.
- Humans share elements of a common language with other apes, understanding many gestures that wild chimps and bonobos use to communicate, study finds.
- 52 million years ago, strange primates lived in complete darkness in the Arctic.
- Recent strange activity around Jupiter’s volcanic moon Io has confused and excited scientists.
- Asteroid the size of a delivery truck passes ‘extraordinarily close’ to Earth. It was first discovered less than a week ago.
- Is the truth out there? Decoding the Pentagon’s latest UFO report.
- An eerily perfect galaxy-shaped spiral appeared over Hawaii. What was it?
- Food production on Mars: Dirt farming as the most scalable solution for settlement.
- CRISPR’s wild first decade only scratches the surface of its potential.
Quote of the Day:
If a hiker gets lost in the mountains, people will coordinate a search. If a train crashes, people will line up to give blood. If an earthquake levels a city, people all over the world will send emergency supplies. This is so fundamentally human that it’s found in every culture without exception. Yes, there are assholes who just don’t care, but they’re massively outnumbered by the people who do.
Andy Weir (in ‘The Martian’)