- The far side of the moon is an ideal place to listen for alien civilisations.
- A paper published in a real journal says there’s a black hole at the centre of the Earth.
- In our universe, time seems to go from past to future, not in reverse. But what if time doesn’t have a direction?
- Modern humans reached westernmost Europe 5000 years earlier than previously known.
- Failed brain surgery and possible human sacrifice revealed in Stone Age burial.
- Egypt renews demands to retrieve Nefertiti bust from Germany.
- Why did Renaissance Europeans see mer-people everywhere?
- We can protect whales from ship strikes by translating their songs. Or perhaps Ellen is available?
- Melting Antarctic snow has revealed 800-year-old mummified penguins. Horror script-writers, your job is already half done.
- Sensational discovery of a 250,000-year-old milk tooth found inside the Denisova cave in Siberia.
- Gut bacteria’s role in anxiety and depression: it’s not just in your head.
- Related: You are legion, for you are many – parasites and microbes that control the mind.
- How the pandemic and politics gave us a golden age of conspiracy theories.
- Video of the Day: Sky tsunami.
Quote of the Day:
Immensely powerful though we are today, it’s equally clear that we’re going to be even more powerful tomorrow. And what’s more there will be greater compulsion upon us to use our power as the number of human beings on Earth increases still further. Clearly we could devastate the world… As far as we know, the Earth is the only place in the universe where there is life. Its continued survival now rests in our hands.
David Attenborough (‘The Living Planet’, 1984)