- Mysterious geoglyphs reveal the Amazon was densely populated before Columbus.
- Humans survived intense climate change 11,000 years ago with amazing resilience, ancient relics show.
- Here’s the science behind the buzz about that start-up that says they have to kill you to preserve your brain.
- Physicist Michio Kaku has some powerful predictions for the future.
- Public service announcement: if someone comes up to you on April 1st and tells you a space station is about to hit your city…it might not be an April Fool’s Day prank.
- The influence of UFO lore in pop culture.
- Related: How the government pressures the media to control what you think about UFOs.
- Four times people cried ‘aliens’ – and four times they were wrong.
- Did Martin Luther King predict his own death?
- Faeries in the Arthurian landscape.
- This medieval mother had a gruesome ‘coffin birth’ after brain surgery.
- With musical cryptography, composers can hide messages in their melodies.
- Bee colonies draw an uncanny parallel to the neurons of the brain.
- Fueling the future: could past fantasies about new power sources energise our own future?
- How your gut controls your mind, and what to do about it.
- Newly-discovered human organ may help explain how cancer spreads.
- The long, strange history of ‘medicinal turpentine‘.
- ‘Mad Honey’ and other naturally occurring psychedelics.
- Alex ‘Douchebag’ Jones compares Parkland shooting survivors to Nazis, tells listeners to “get aggressive”.
- Image of the Day: The northern lights from U2. (No, not a new song from Bono and Edge.)
Thanks to @Gordon_White.
Quote of the Day:
What we need to fear most is not what artificial intelligence will do to us on its own, but how the people in power will use artificial intelligence to control us, and to manipulate us, in novel, sometimes hidden, subtle and unexpected ways.
Much of the technology that threatens our freedom and our dignity in the near-term future is being developed by companies in the business of capturing and selling our data and our attention to advertisers and others: Facebook, Google, Amazon, Alibaba, Tencent.