What great things will humans do with the god-like technology we have made?
- Oh. People are using A.I. to create fake porn of their friends and classmates.
- Maybe we should be trying to develop A.I. as alien intelligence rather than artificial intelligence, in order that it thinks like nothing else on Earth.
- New technology and new ideas spur the hunt for the physical basis of memory, the engram.
- Showing off to the Universe: Beacons for the afterlife of our civilization.
- The idea that everything from spoons to stones are conscious is gaining academic credibility.
- “A prisoner in my own body”: this is what it’s like to have sleep paralysis.
- How sound and smell cues can enhance learning while you sleep.
- Do you know how to build a brain? The U.S. Government is hiring! (insert Trump joke here)
- The irony of the Pope decrying fake news.
- A 177,000-year-old jawbone is causing a dramatic revision of the story of human migration out of Africa.
- First ever evidence that mosquitoes can be trained.
- Declassified files show the FBI once thought science fiction was part of a communist plot to sap American resolve by frightening people “into a state of paralysis or psychological incompetence bordering on hysteria”.
- Shrugging toward doomsday.
- The people who would survive nuclear war.
- Image(s) of the Day: The psychedelic salt mine.
Quote of the Day:
The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions, medieval institutions, and god-like technology.