- Volcanic eruptions may have doomed an ancient Egyptian dynasty.
- Was the Roman Empire brought down by bacteria?
- Related: Researcher says biotechnology could explain why aliens haven’t contacted us…and why human civilization may only have decades left.
- Ancient Polish megaliths, or an open-pit mine? A question of coal vs cultural heritage.
- Cannabis, the Holy Grail and the secret of the Templars?
- These five indigenous cultures use psychedelics as medicine instead of popping pills.
- A mushroom out of a fairy tale that you might find in the forest. For more on Amanita muscaria’s influence on folklore and fantasy, see Mike Jay’s brilliant essay “Mushrooms in Wonderland“.
- Astronomers just proved the incredible origin of nearly all gold, platinum and silver in the universe.
- Bigelow Aerospace wants to put an inflatable space habitat in orbit around the Moon.
- The strangely revealing debate over the controversial claim that Viking burial clothes bear the word ‘Allah’.
- (Not all) the facts about mind over matter: A critical commentary on a recent skeptical article about psychokinesis.
- A new theory of consciousness: the mind exists as a field connected to the brain.
- Bullshit Daily Telegraph article about bullshit automation promises bullshit life of leisure.
- Why you shouldn’t expect to see ‘Blade Runner’ replicants anytime soon.
- Smashing Pumpkins’ Billy Corgan says he saw a human shape-shifter but “it’s hard to explain”.
- Searching for the identity of San Francisco’s mysterious mummified girl.
- Six horrifying parasites (that could be inside you right now).
Thanks to @MattStaggs and Cass.
Quote of the Day:
We are attempting to survive our time so we may live into yours.
Jimmy Carter’s message to alien civilizations (sent on the Voyager probe)