Welcome, to the days that didn’t exist…
- Alien-hunting ‘Breakthrough Listen’ project tracks strange series of 15 radio bursts.
- In 1.3 million years, our Solar System will briefly contain two stars.
- Close Encounters was when the movies got New Age religion.
- Alien-life blob found in lake is actually a living thing.
- Harry Potter fans: did you realise Friday was the final moment in the book series?
- Scientists have been using quantum theory for almost a century – but they still don’t know what it means.
- Experiment reveals evidence for a previously unseen behaviour of light.
- Footprint find on Crete may push back date humans began to walk upright to almost 6 million years ago.
- Castle of the Sealand kings: discovering ancient Iraq’s rebel rulers.
- “Blind children should be allowed to learn to echolocate like me“. More on human echolocation in this video from the Grail archives.
- Nessie heads for a bumper year with six monster sightings in the first eight months of the year.
- CDC finds lead poisoning in child who wore ‘homeopathic magnetic hematite healing bracelet’.
- Damn you nominative determinism! Man dies after running into flaming inferno at Burning Man.
- Two-thirds of Americans approve of editing human DNA to treat disease.
- Doubts raised about CRISPR gene-editing study in human embryos.
- Image of the Day: Giant statue crawls out of the ground.
Quote of the Day:
Capitallism can no more be ‘persuaded’ to limit growth than a human being can be ‘persuaded’ to stop breathing. Attempts to ‘green’ capitalism, to make it ‘ecological’, are doomed by the very nature of the system as a system of endless growth.