- Attempt to recreate Kon-Tiki voyage between Easter Island and Peru ends with rescue.
- Was Jesus really nailed to a cross?
- Egypt places its pyramids under military protection.
- More evidence supports claim that the hidden chamber in Tut’s tomb contains another burial.
- The hidden price of Mindfulness Inc..
- Norwegian ‘witch’ books stolen by the Nazis for Heinrich Himmler recovered from Prague warehouse.
- Twin comets to pass ‘close’ to the Earth.
- If consciousness is an algorithm, then a robot can be conscious. Starting with a pretty big ‘if’ there…
- Report released on 40 years of research into human intuition.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson incurs the wrath of the biological sciences.
- Tantalising data from the Large Hadron Collider has physicists psyched.
- Transmissable allergies via transplants proven ‘in the wild’.
- How long until human faces can be printed in a lab?
- Some women are born with hyper-sensitive eyes that can see colours the rest of us can’t.
- Image of the Day: Face-swapped Mulder and Scully would make a great 80s synthpop band.
Quote of the Day:
We certainly were [shocked]. We went very quickly from ‘Let’s see how well this works’ to ‘We seem to have a very strong player on our hands’ to ‘This player has become so strong that probably only a world champion can find its limits’.
DeepMind researcher George van den Driessche (on the ‘learning’ development of their game-playing A.I. bot, AlphaGo)