Sorry for the slow-down in posts here at the Grail…real-world responsibilities have been taking priority for the last few weeks. Hope to be back on the Grail horse again now though.
- Make the sign of the….Y? Scientists say Shroud of Turin shows that Jesus was crucified in ‘very painful position‘, with arms over head.
- The BBC covers the riddle of the Voynich Manuscript.
- Sunrise photos show the astronomical orientations of ancient cairns.
- Mars rover sees a mysterious light on the horizon of the Red Planet.
- The esteemed 19th century scientist Johann Zöllner created tests to find out whether ghosts lived in the fourth dimension.
- While 21st century astronomer Bernard Carr says….that spiritual phenomena exist in other dimensions. Everything old is new again.
- Is lightning caused by cosmic rays?
- Skepticism increases about that ‘skydiver almost hit by meteorite’ video. More skepticism from the Bad Astronomer.
- The people with animal powers: humans augmenting their bodies and minds to acquire non-human abilities.
- Floating Away: the science of sensory deprivation therapy.
- Can colour-blind people see more colours when they take hallucinogens? I just got 0 out of 8 on this online Ishihara test. Please send me your hallucinogens and I shall test the hypothesis. FOR SCIENCE!
- Psychedelic, shamanic and magickal themes in video game culture.
- How to create a Harry Potter-style invisibility cloak.
- Crowdfunding pseudoscience.
- Scientists find that what we see at each moment is not an up-to-date ‘snapshot’ of the world but rather an average of what we’ve seen over the past 10 to 15 seconds.
- Sherlock Holmes & the Case of the Pointless Universe: Solved by the unlikely team of Freeman Dyson & Terence McKenna?
- Planet X conjecture has been revived after the recent dwarf planet discovery. But is the theory disproved by the motion of the already known planets?
- Paranormal investigators capture “impressive evidence” of spooks in historical museum.
- Flesh-crawling page-turners: the books bound in human skin.
- A 19th century chupacabras? In England? (/Michael Palin voice).
- Image(s) of the Day: Walk around the amazing ancient temples of Angkor via Google’s Street View.
Quote of the Day:
God wanted to hide his secrets in a secure place… Then the solution occurred to him. ‘I shall put my secrets in the inner sanctum of man’s own mind. Then only those who really deserve it will be able to get to it’.
Tale recounted in the Amazon to Professor Benny Shanon, and quoted in his book The Antipodes of the Mind