- Meditation found to increase brain size. *Disclaimer: meditation will not be held responsible for any negative side-effects.
- Top ten myths about 2012.
- The greatest mystery of the Inca Empire was its strange economy.
- Comparing star sign predictions by making a word cloud out of 22,000 horoscopes.
- The best strategy for finding aliens is a variety of strategies.
- UFO flies by Titan.
- NASA stops $400,000 payment to Jim Lovell for sale of his Apollo 13 notebook.
- Russia’s Phobos-Grunt spacecraft to fall from the sky at the end of the week.
- Was early mass extinction on Earth caused by deadly gamma-rays from an exploding star?
- Speaking of mass extinctions: Scientists worry about super bird-flu, scientists create super bird-flu. Yay science!
- Carbon emissions from humans will defer the next Ice Age.
- It’s like some terrible mash-up of Waterworld and Return of the Jedi. Whale sharks hand-fed by fishermen in the Philippines.
- Mobile phone giants allowing governments backdoor access to devices in exchange for market presence?
- Paper denying HIV-AIDS link secures publication in peer-reviewed journal.
- Why you don’t really have free will.
- It’s the third coming of Philip K. Dick!
- Also: Peter Watts reviews The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick (Amazon US and UK).
- An optimistic history of the next 40 years.
- Rube Goldberg machine genius. Make sure you watch the video right to the end.
- Image of the day: Saturn’s being followed by a Moon and a shadow.
Quote of the Day:
It seems to me that by subtle but real degrees the world has come to resemble a PKD novel.
Philip K. Dick