Come pull the sheet over my eyes, so I can sleep tonight, despite what I’ve seen today…
- DARPA wants to send humans to the stars within 100 years. More at Centauri Dreams.
- DARPA also wants artificial lifeforms. I see where this is going…
- Forget Laura Palmer, meet Saturn’s moon Helene…wrapped in plastic.
- Meanwhile, Enceladus has a salt-water ocean.
- Mathematician creates artwork inspired by Escher, Mandelbrot and Penrose.
- Here comes the Sun…and the power grid stands vulnerable.
- On the latest Skeptiko podcast, Steve Volk seeks a middle-ground between mainstream science skepticism and researchers on the paranormal fringe (audio and transcript).
- Dead Buddhist man in death meditation.
- Superhuman: we have a magnetic sensor in our eyes…but can we detect magnetic fields?
- 55-foot-long unknown fish species washes ashore in China. Also known as ‘a dead whale’?
- Headline of the Day contender #1: Don’t have sex with a time-traveling sea monkey.
- Headline of the Day contender #2: Tiny water insect makes record-breaking song with his penis (the world’s smallest penis’t?)
- What’s more dangerous than nuclear power? Aging dams.
- Jimmy Carter says we need to call off the global ‘war on drugs’.
- Five big developments in neuroscience to watch.
- Only two out of fifty-one Miss America contestants raise their hand for Darwinian evolution. No puns here, I am keeping myself out of trouble. Oh look, video!
- James Brown, Chris Rock, alien abductions and acid trips: the craziest episode of Miami Vice that ever went to air.
- Quoth the owl, “Pottermore!”. J.K. Rowling’s secret Harry Potter project unveiled today.
- Myths Retold finds The Frog Prince to be pretty damn weird (NSFW language).
- Snake or fake? The true story of Alan Moore’s favourite deity.
- During their revolution, Egyptians referenced Moore’s V for Vendetta more frequently than any other work of art.
- Things that happen on the internet every 60 seconds.
- Eight filthy jokes hidden in ancient works of art.
- I see faces…all the time.
- Image of the Day: About face.
Quote of the Day:
When I first heard about virtual reality I thought: is there any other kind?