Welcome to 2011. Let’s segue…
- Alien invasion in 2012? Umm…no.
- Well, not including TV – first trailer for Steven Spielberg’s new alien invasion series Falling Skies.
- 1000 dead blackbirds fall from the sky in Arkansas.
- Pi in the sky: is mathematics a divine language?
- Talking to a dead king: the séance for the British royal family.
- Sorry, couldn’t find a news story about sixpence.
- Thais turn to the supernatural.
- Cults of an unwitting oracle: the unintended religious legacy of H.P. Lovecraft. See also Eric Davis’s “Calling Cthulhu” in Darklore Volume 5.
- Mystery lights spotted in skies over New Zealand.
- Reclaiming the irrational from the religious.
- Magical thinking enhances creativity.
- Seven-month-old babies can ‘read minds‘.
- More evidence for a previously unknown species of human.
- Neanderthals cooked and ate vegetables.
- Coded American Civil War message in bottle deciphered 150 years on.
- There’s a crack in the shuttle, dear Liza.
- Image of the day: a solar eclipse…from a completely different angle.
Quote of the Day:
Life isn’t divided into genres. It’s a horrifying, romantic, tragic, comical, science-fiction cowboy detective novel. You know, with a bit of pornography if you’re lucky.