As Rumi said, there are wonderful shapes in rising smoke that imagination loves to watch.
- Humans mastered fire 790,000 years ago.
- Jurassic treasure trove, lost by Victorians and refound by fossil sleuth, may explain why tens of thousands of animals died simultaneously in episodes repeated many times over about a million years.
- Geologists have discovered prehistoric animal tracks so densely packed on a 3/4-acre site that they’re calling it a ‘dinosaur dance floor’.
- Why did Neanderthals have such big noses?
- Archaeologists reconstruct a detailed picture of Martin Luther’s life by trawling through his household waste.
- The Roman Army wasn’t easily impressed, or for that matter stopped, but history records how Julius Caesar’s first sight of a correctly-laid hedge brought his legions to a shuddering halt.
- A life of discovery among neo-Nazis and anacondas: Colonel John Blashford-Snell’s latest expedition proved that, in the time of ancient cultures dating back 30,000 years, travel across great distances would have been possible.
- Greek dig unearths Neolithic household gear.
- Breakthrough Award: Lonnie Johnson’s Thermo-electrochemical Converter system (JTEC for short) generates electricity with no fuel and no moving parts.
- Solar furnace melts steel — and our minds.
- Inventor Dean Kamen aims ‘to fix the world’ with a 200-year-old engine nobody else thinks can work.
- If no one sees it, is it an invention?
- Star Trek fans, take heart — Mr. Spock’s fabled home star, the nearby Epsilon Eridani, could harbor an Earth-like planet.
- New research finds humanity’s ruthless exploitation of the environment has resulted in a 35% decrease in biodiversity over the past 35 years.
- Hypnosis lets regular people see numbers as colors.
- Stephenville residents report more UFO sightings. (With video.)
- Former fighter pilot Milton Torres recalls encounter with UFO.
- Is the Georgia Aquarium haunted?
- Two ghosts dancing ‘like whirling dervishes’ seen in centuries-old inn.
- From Sam Houston to LBJ, Austin, Texas is a hot spot for ghosts of politicians.
- Why 90% of us ‘believe in’ ESP, ghosts, and psychic phenomena — according to researchers.
- Two recent photos suggest cougars are making a comeback in northwest Louisiana. Big cat sighting in Patterson, NY stirs up neighborhood.
- Japanese team photographs several Yeti footprints in the Himalayas.
- Spy pigeons circle the world.
- Honey bees can be trained to count up to four.
- Terminator alert: US military developing robotic wolfpack to hunt down ‘non-cooperative’ humans.
- Dr Doom: When Nouriel Roubini predicted a global financial crisis more than a year ago, people laughed. Not any more…
- Sex addiction: not just for men.
- Do five simple things a day to stay sane.
Quote of the Day:
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others.
John Andrew Holmes