…And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
- 5 days after the devastating cyclone, Yangon, Myanmar’s capital is still a city paralyzed. And with more rains to come and the initially rebuffed foreign aid only now starting to trickle in, many fear the conditions will only worsen (more here and here). If you’d like to help those affected by the storm, here are a few links to a few agencies assisting the people of Myanmar.
- The still-erupting Chilean volcano, “Chaiten” causes thousands of evacuations. Meanwhile, local farms and animals are increasingly threatened by the white ash falling from the sky. More photos here. A satellite photo of the eruption, here. Chile has given holdouts a new ultimatum…
- Amazonian rainforests threatened by clean air… And no, that’s not a typo.
- Dubai entrepreneur redefines the meaning of horsepower.
- No, you aren’t going crazy, Saturn *is* waving at you.
- New findings show Mercury’s ‘iron snow’ helps maintain it’s magnetic field. Sadly, ironic snow is still waiting be discovered.
- Wanna make $17,000 (US) the easy way? NASA study on the effects of microgravity will pay you 5k a month to lie in bed. Sam Lowry need not apply.
- What do ‘Clowns on Velvet’, and a Lithuanian Zappa statue have in common? Oddly enough…it’s Baltimore. And in case you haven’t heard / seen enough of Frank as of late, here’s a little ditty from 1976… ‘Peaches en Regalia’.
- Octocube has arrived. All hail Octotube. Wait, what is Octotube?
- No wonder the time-stream’s been crowded… the Steampunks have gone mainstream!
- Magnetic bracelets may be a bust, but magnetic rocks may be the key to finding life on Mars, (microscopically speaking, of course).
- Contrary to popular belief, a new study claims. the Sahara dried out over thousands of years vs. abruptly. I didn’t actually see it happen, but I know a guy…
- Tell me ‘lyes’, tell me sweet little ‘lyes’… If you’re in the market for a new method of corpse removal, alkaline hydrolysis may be your answer.
- And while we’re on the subject of things-to-do-after-you’re-dead, here’s a little something from the ‘too surreal not to be real’ file. I give you… the reanimated mouse-jacket.
- Why are all the bats dying in the Northeast? Looks like ‘The Joker’ may finally be getting his way…
Thanks to R.P. Junkie & Kat and G. Lee!
Quote of the Day:
A mind is like a parachute… It doesn’t work if it’s not open.