Happy birthday Mr Doppelganger!
- In this recent TED talk, Stephen Hawking makes the claim that ‘UFOs’ are only seen by “cranks and weirdos”. More here.
- Queen guitarist Brian May appointed University Chancellor in the wake of receiving his Ph.D. in astrophysics.
- Astrobiologists say “No thanks” to Mars suicide mission. Chances, of anything, coming from Earth…
- The battle hots up for first access to the Clinton archives, with UFO hunters raising the ire of salacious scandal investigators.
- America vs Japan: who will have the first ‘Iron Man’ exoskeleton? Includes videos of the contenders.
- Universal ‘babelfish‘ could translate alien tongues.
- Superhumans possible via genetic modification. And by superhumans, they definitely don’t mean ubermensch, and the genetic modification bit has nothing to do with Darwinism. Definitely. Nothing to see here Ben Stein!
- Six formerly kick-ass creatures, ruined by evolution. Damn you Darwin!
- Lizards show rapid evolution since introduction to new environment. X-Lizards?
- Did the Flores hobbit have dental work done in the 1930s?
- Plants ‘thrive’ on Moon rock diet.
- Moon’s birth changed the length of days on Earth. Much like the invention of the working week…
- ‘Bionic eye‘ offers hope for blindness cure. I just hope it makes the same sound Steve Austin’s did.
- Respected wine producers embrace the spiritual philosophy of Rudolf Steiner’s biodynamics.
- James Randi and friends talk to London.
- Speaking of Randi’s friends…the Skeptologists are coming! The video trailer has some sage words from Michael Shermer…
- Rising sea levels threaten Egypt’s ancient cities.
- The Terracotta Army has egg on its face. Literally.
- 100 years ago, Sci-Am reported on the Wright Brothers’ first flight.
- And look at how far we’ve come: the F-117 Stealth fighter is given a gold watch and put out to pasture.
- Bigelow Aerospace provide bigger space pictures. Shh, nobody tell the Bad Astronomer about some of the other weird pursuits of the folk at BA…
- Deicide vocalist Glen Benton claims to have seen a Bigfoot.
Quote of the Day:
In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes.
Dwight Eisenhower (1961)