Filling in for Dr. J. Plenty of prime TDG fodder about, so dig in…
- Family attacks Catholic Church over plans to exhume the body of Padre Pio. Perhaps concerned about this?
- New Zealand scientist says it is perfectly reasonable to assume we are living in a virtual reality simulation. Here’s more reading on the topic by Oxford University philosopher Nick Bostrom.
- Talking about psychedelic states with Jan Kounen, director of the shamanic Western Renegade (or Blueberry, depending where you live). You can watch Kounen’s documentary on shamanism, Other Worlds, right here on TDG.
- Psychedelics make a comeback – ironically, treating mental ailments.
- New book says Tom Cruise is the second most powerful Scientologist, and that some Scientologists believe that Katie Holmes was impregnated with the sperm of L. Ron Hubbard.
- Always remember what your mama told you – don’t play tug-of-war with a Saturn V rocket.
- At last the truth about little green men. I don’t share the writer’s optimism (or was that sarcasm?)…
- Russia to search for life on Jupiter’s moon Europa.
- Virgin Galactic and Scaled Composites to unveil SpaceShipTwo this month.
- Astronaut carving in 12th century church bewilders tourists. It’s when you find the tiny Richard Branson that you really lose your mind…
- The hypersonic age is near – but with great advantages come great perils.
- Did a tsunami wipe out a cradle of Western civilisation?
- General Motors envisions a driverless car within 10 years.
- Ancient Finns invented bone ice skates thousands of years ago.
- Aztec pyramid find could rewrite the history of the ancient empire.
- No convincing evidence for a decline in tropical forests.
- Is brain anatomy detailed symbolically in Renaissance artworks?
- Pwnage news: US and UK rival China for government surveillance.
- A look back at the Top 20 Blasphemous Moments in recent history.
Quote of the Day:
The ultimate paradox of materialism is that the one feature of the universe which alone gives meaning to all the rest is the one feature which has to be declared redundant! Nothing can account for its emergence; nothing follows from its existence.