Sometimes, sniffing around Amazon.com reveals the most interesting things…
- DNA co-discoverer James Watson retires amidst racist comment controversy.
- Ancient DNA reveals that some Neanderthals were redheads. Probably best not to ask for a comment from James Watson on that one…
- Bigelow Aerospace to offer $760 million for a spaceship.
- Physicist Brian Greene selects a winner for the “String Theory in 2 Minutes or Less” video competition at Discover.
- The Top 50 Dystopian Movies of all time. Or at least, time till the present.
- Just in time for Halloween: a slideshow of 15 famous freaky ghost pictures.
- And: scientists baffled by haunted playground (with video). Academics have “called in ghosthunters”? Pffffft.
- ‘Alien Autopsy’ film saga takes another twist.
- Will a vote for the Democrats in the U.S. election be a step toward disclosure about extraterrestrial contact?
- “We could find ET within a few dozen years“. A Q&A with SETI’s Seth Shostak.
- Comet brightens mysteriously by a factor of a million.
- Meteor no longer the prime suspect in great extinction.
- Scientists alter the sexual orientation of worms.
- The mysteries of hypermemory and amnesia.
- Eyes in petri dishes? How Bladerunner of them.
- The human race will one day split into two separate species, an attractive, intelligent ruling elite and an underclass of dim-witted, ugly goblin-like creatures, according to a top scientist. I’m tall but ugly…does that make me a hybrid?
- Balloon larger than a jumbo jet takes solar telescope up to 120,00 feet.
- Defect suspected in the fabric of space and time. Did a chesterfield sofa appear somewhere?
- A survey of some of the bizarre religions and cults from around the world.
- Scientist retracts 1955 paper which has been used by Creationists to argue their point.
- Pwnage news: terror watch list swells to more than 755,000. That’s a lot of terror to watch…
Quote of the Day:
“Eddies,” said Ford, “in the space-time continuum.”
“Ah,” nodded Arthur, “is he. Is he.” He pushed his hands into the pockets of his dressing gown and looked knowledgeably into the distance.
‘Life, the Universe and Everything’ (Douglas Adams)