Travelling on the weekend, so won’t be around till Monday. I’m sure you won’t know how to fill the void in your life…
- DHS signs up sci-fi writers for the war on terror. Worth reading Cabinet of Wonders’ piece “Philly Busted” for a strange precursor in the 1940s.
- Man says he’s got a new Loch Ness video. And the place to look for things when it comes to cryptozoology is obviously Cryptomundo, which has the video.
- Also: Loch Ness in World Heritage bid.
- Trip proposed to center of the Earth, via Arctic ‘hole’. Really.
- Is a ban on fortune telling a curtailment of free speech?
- Douglas Rushkoff tells of a little-known but influential Jim Henson short film. You can view it at YouTube.
- Profiling ‘UFO Hacker’ Gary McKinnon.
- More TMS in the news: dispelling ghostly images with electromagnets.
- Is Earth’s climate reaching tipping point?
- Upright walking in humans may have begun in the trees.
- China pushes for Great Wall wonder status. Noel Gallagher may be looking at a windfall from music royalties…
- A light touch on the arm can sway the mind.
- Men worry more about penile size more than women do. That’s because they don’t have one.
- Croatian bees sniff out landmines. I don’t want to taste the honey from those bees…
- Rather than all these global warming initiatives, could we just vent the CO2 into space?
- Space telescope spies dark matter.
- I’m no fan of the practical use of weaponry, but that doesn’t stop me from loving the technical wizardry of a LEGO Rubberband Chaingun (with video). I could have taken out a few eyes with that as a kid…
- New blog at the Onion: “I believe in evolution, except for the whole Triassic period” (h/t to Alan Boyle’s Cosmic Log).
Quote of the Day:
It is no great accomplishment to hear a voice in the head. The accomplishment is to make sure that it is telling you the truth, because the demons are of many kinds…The reaction to these voices is not to kneel in genuflection before a god, because then one will be like Dorothy in her first encounter with Oz. Magicians, people who invoke these things, have always understood that one must go into such encounters with one’s wits about oneself.