In the player at the moment: Scarsick, by Pain of Salvation. Disco prog metal doesn’t get any better than this…
- The New York Times asks, can Dan Brown sound more like Dan Brown than Dan Brown’s imitators do (I’m trying to do the math, but I think there is still only one Dan Brown)? And who is this Greg Taylor guy they mention anyhow, he sounds a bit dubious to me…
- Opus Dei to strike back against Dan Brown with their own film. I see the plotline now…mild-mannered New England author revealed to be a baby-killer who burns the flag in his spare time.
- US Army to demonstrate use of paralysing light beam. Sounds a little like some ET encounter stories I’ve read…they haven’t been testing it on unsuspecting subjects have they?
- Apocalypse now? Jeff Wells points out a few strange and disturbing news stories from the past two months.
- ‘Paranoid androids‘ in ten years. And when they say ’emotions’, they of course mean some completely different thing.
- Autonomous robots join together to make individual superbot. With video.
- In the near future, people may be able to record everything they see and hear and keep it in a personal digital archive. We’re going to need a powerful editing tool I think…
- What colour is pi? Savant Daniel Tammet has an opinion.
- Research turns memory theory on its head.
- Bacteria used to reinforce buildings against earthquakes. Just as long as the earthquake doesn’t measure ‘antibiotic’ on the Richter scale.
- Astronauts should ‘ski the Moon‘.
- Rocket explodes over Australia, showering space with debris.
- Hail John Frum! Vanuatu cargo cult celebrates fifty years of ‘in Frum we trust’.
- Is it all a load of sh*t? “Led astray by a Dead Sea latrine“.
- Sudden freeze may have wiped out Neanderthals.
- Raelians selling Quebec compound for $3million. I’d want a serious clean of the bedrooms if I were the buyer.
- Endangered languages encode plant and animal knowledge.
- The phony economics of Second Life.
- Medium Allison Dubois drawn to missing teen case.
- Jim Carrey’s life is now ruled by the number 23.
- Today’s pwnage news: RFID powder.
Quote of the Day:
It’s important to abolish the unconscious dogmatism that makes people think their way of looking at reality is the only sane way of viewing the world…If one can only see things according to one’s own belief system, one is destined to become virtually deaf, dumb, and blind. It’s only possible to see people when one is able to see the world as others see it. That’s what guerrilla ontology is…
Robert Anton Wilson