One great big festering neon distraction…
- Scientific danger ranking of drugs ignored by UK politicians because of the controversial findings (ie. that tobacco and alcohol are more dangerous than LSD, Ecstasy and GHB).
- Has the variety of human cultures come about because of a brain parasite? Some commentary here, and also an article in The New York Times (link fixed now, thanks Pam).
- Seth Shostak gives SETI’s response (audio) to Steven Greer’s claim that SETI had made alien contact.
- Hawaian temples much older than thought. Older than thought itself…is that possible?!
- Archaeologists excavate the grave of the ‘black Paul Bunyan’.
- Ancient global warming spurred primates into North America.
- Yowie caught on video. Or is it just a tall cocker-spaniel?
- Buddhas emitting miraculous rays of light, or optical illusion?
- Prayer book reveals scientific secret. Sounds like something to get the CSICOPians up in arms, but not really.
- Stephen King pleads with J.K. Rowling not to kill Harry.
- Is alchemy being welcomed back into the fold by science, after years of being the embarassing family member who turns up drunk.
- Searching for an afterlife via Electronic Voice Phenomenon (EVP).
- Can you imagine life after Earth?
- It’s aliiiiiiiivvve! A handy school project for all the kiddies out there: get some rat neurons, a computer and a robot rat…well, you see where I’m going with this.
- DDT set to return as a weapon against malaria.
- FDA survey finds widespread political meddling in publication of scientific results.
- Our own Kat explores scary news that the Amazon could be a desert in 2 years, in a recent blog entry.
- Predators hunt small-brained prey. Joke about Dubya avoiding trips to Africa omitted (due to those delicate sensibilities out there).
- Forget your mouse, soon you’ll be giving your computer the finger.
- Japan aims for manned Moon station by 2030.
Quote of the Day:
Learn to swim.