I’m helping out for a few days over at Sploid.com. As if news updates here aren’t enough work – I must be a masochist…
- Companies cash in on the upcoming 666 frenzy (as in June 6th, 2006). But what about 616?
- Religious experts rebut The Da Vinci Code film.
- UFO explodes over China. Sounds suspiciously like the sightings shortly before the 2004 tsunami.
- UFO crashes into African sea? What’s with the bad alien driving lately?
- New book from Col. Jesse Marcel: Roswell: It Really Happened.
- Is the recent news blitz on Morgellons Disease just a viral marketing campaign for the film version of Philip K. Dick’s A Scanner Darkly (which I’m very much looking forward to…the movie that is, not the disease)?
- Mad Cow Disease may have infected far more people than originally thought. Moo, I say!
- The mathematical structure of terrorism. I’d hate to be the one trying to teach it to Dubya.
- Slovak doctor says solar flares could raise strokes.
- Scientists predict an above normal hurricane season in 2006.
- Al Gore blows into Cannes, saying the world is facing a planetary emergency from global warming.
- While researchers say the world will be even hotter by century’s end. The controversial question is: what’s causing it?
- Ivory-billed woodpecker a no-show in recent search. You have to keep the mystery in a relationship.
- Pigeons think in logarithms. So much for insulting someone by calling them ‘bird-brained’.
- What weather’s in store for Britain this summer? Fish and frogs apparently. Good thing the Ashes are here in Australia this year…
- The male fascination with size appears to be universal, with species around the world evolving huge decorations to impress the females. And no, I’m not using ‘decorations’ as a euphemism.
- Towards immortality: the social burden of longer lives.
- Scientists build a virtual world of software beings.
- Scientists find you may be doomed to failure, all because of the poverty gene.
- What does sound look like? Take a look at this video (found via Strange Attractor).
- Keef flies home from New Zealand after brain surgery.
- Madonna’s giant cross offends Christian groups.
Quote of the Day:
Such a weird belief. Lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he’s gonna want to see a f’ing cross, man? “Owwwwww”. May be why he hasn’t shown up yet. “Man, they’re still wearing crosses. F**k it, I’m not goin, dad. No, they totally missed the point. When they start wearing fishes I might show up again, but… Let me bury fossil heads with you Dad”…you know, kinda like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on, you know. “Thinkin’ of John, Jackie. We love him. Just tryin to keep that memory alive, baby.”