You can donate to the tsunami relief effort (through the American Red Cross) easily by going to Amazon.com (I realise it’s good advertising for the big A, but it’s such a simple and easy way to make a difference that it deserves mention)…
- Randi’s rant this week includes a bemusing quotation from Richard Dawkins, stating that if funds had been diverted from religious institutions to science (for tsunami early warning systems), the death toll of the disaster would have been reduced. Here’s a novel idea: why not start with the military budgets first? Perhaps move on to taxing marketing and advertising income? Or diverting funds from Presidential campaigns? There are greater evils (and funding) than religious organisations, perhaps Mr Dawkins’ obnoxious evangelical atheism took over from his usual logical thinking for a moment…
- Sea gypsies’ knowledge saves village from tsunami.
- Making Richard Dawkins proud, schoolgirl’s scientific understanding matches the knowledge of the sea gypsies and saves lives.
- Were appropriate steps taken to warn countries of the tsunami threat?
- Do monster quakes come in clusters?
- Correcting some of the stretched truths regarding the quake/tsunami.
- The loneliest whale and Ray Bradbury.
- New calendar system creates less confusion.
- Spirit celebrates one year on Mars, while Opportunity takes a drive through its own debris.
- Satellites suffer radiation damage as scientists predict magnetic pole flip.
- Using space for espionage. What a sad species we are.
- Man walked with the dinosaurs. At least according to Creationism Park. It’s gotta suck being the child of Fundamentalist Christian parents. “Mum, have you heard of this place called Disneyland?”
- The ugly truth behind ‘Dolphin-Friendly Tuna.’
- Star Wars ‘hologram’ becomes reality with heliodisplay.
- Is there anybody out there? SETI looks to the future of the search. And: a new and improved SETI.
- Britain’s Astronomer Royal, Sir Martin Rees, talks about our cosmic patch (Part 1 of 3).
- A review of Susan J. Palmer’s Aliens Adored: Rael’s UFO Religion.
- Iranians notice an increase in UFOs.
- Stu Hameroff comments on recent EEG-meditation findings.
- Higher states of consciousness.
- UK hands over 30 ancient Iranian artifacts.
- Four forgers have rewritten Biblical history. Time to unwrite it I guess…
- Bison bone turns B.C. history upside-down.
- World’s oldest animation found in Iran.
- Pyramid rotation continues in Egypt, with Khefre’s pyramid reopening (that’s the one in the middle) and Menkaure’s pyramid closing (the little one on the end…not the big one on the other end).
- Super-medium Allison Dubois inspires television series starring Patricia Arquette and produced by Kelsey Grammar.
- Electronic Voice Phenomenon (EVP): what’s it all about?
- Successful prayer study a sham.
- One submarine trip I don’t want to take: new expedition to search the depths of Loch Ness.
- Scientific proof of paranormal ignored.
Quote of the Day:
You know all that money we spend on the military every year – trillions of dollars? Instead, if we use this money to feed and clothe the poor of this world, which it would do many times over, then we can explore space, inner and outer, together, as one race.