Robot proves itself
to be to have been self-conscious.
- Do We Live in the Matrix? Tests could reveal whether we are part of a giant computer simulation — but the question is, do we really want to know?
- Planets galore! Saturn probe’s big pic finally unveiled. NASA’s large-resolution version.
- 3.5 BILLION-year-old remains, uncovered in Australia, are the oldest complete fossil found anywhere on Earth.
- Cave women unearth skull of unknown human ancestor.
- Ability to appreciate music evolved 30m years ago in common ancestor of humans and primates.
- 13,000 years ago, prehistoric humans held wakes for the dead in Carmel caves.
- Scientists stumble on 10,000-year-old cave art while tracking peccaries in the Brazilian rainforest.
- Pyramid-age love story comes to life in Egyptian tomb’s vivid color.
- Multi-million dollar renovation planned for Cairo’s famed Egyptian Museum.
- When it comes to the JFK assassination, most Americans believe the truth is still out there.
- Former FBI agent reveals who really killed JFK.
- Ragnarok: Viking apocalypse to take place on February 22, 2014, according to Norse mythology experts.
- My, what deep roots you have: How Little Red Riding Hood’s tale evolved.
- A cabinet of illegal curiosities: The US National Wildlife Property Repository reveals its macabre collection of goods seized from the illegal trade in endangered species. Check out the photo gallery.
- Fountain-of-youth gene unleashes healing power: A protein naturally expressed in embryos boosts repair capacity in adult tissues.
- Dizzying heights and forbidden spaces: These beautiful ‘place-hacking’ photos will give you an adrenaline rush.
- Meet the punk rocker who can liberate your FBI file. Ufologists could benefit from his techniques.
- Internet architects propose encrypting all the world’s Web traffic.
Quote of the Day:
F*** these guys. I’ve spent the last ten years of my life trying to keep Google’s users safe and secure from the many diverse threats Google faces. I’ve seen armies of machines DOS-ing Google. I’ve seen worms DOS-ing Google to find vulnerabilities in other people’s software. I’ve seen criminal gangs figure out malware.
But after spending all that time helping in my tiny way to protect Google — one of the greatest things to arise from the internet — seeing this, well, it’s just a little like coming home from War with Sauron, destroying the One Ring, only to discover the NSA is on the front porch of the Shire chopping down the Party Tree and outsourcing all the hobbit farmers with half-orcs and whips.
Google engineer Brandon Downey, as quoted in Google engineers offer the NSA ‘a giant F*** You’.