Can you smell a change in the wind?
- 1000-year-old coins found in Northern Territory may rewrite Australian history.
- Uncovering the secrets of North America’s Ice Age giants.
- When you compare dogs to wolves in several problem-solving tasks, dogs look downright vapid. But if dogs see humans solve these same problems, dogs get it right away. It’s when dogs partner with humans that they become extraordinary.
- I, Robot Maker: Will Jackson wants his humanoid robots to behave like people.
- The robot threat: In the long run, we are telepathic androids.
- Corporations are manufacturing uncertainty about scientific findings. Now scientists are fighting back.
- Only elitists oppose Monsanto’s global domination plan, says CEO.
- Inconvenient truth about GM: Genetic modification has done little to increase crop yields.
- Koch Carbon: North America’s petroleum coke – the dirtiest residue from the dirtiest oil on earth – is sold to Mexico, South America, India, and China, which uses it as a cheap alternative to low-grade coal to generate electricity, adding to their air-quality woes.
- New App lets you boycott Koch Brothers, Monsanto and more by scanning your shopping cart.
- High methane levels in US found in cross-country drive.
- Can fracking be done safely? If so, will it be?
- Meet the career con man who made a fortune selling illegal pharmaceuticals online — and then helped the feds pull off a sting that forced Google to cough up a $500 million fine. *shiver* I feel sullied and unusual, Mr. Gibbs.
- Why do all the major table-saw manufacturers want you to keep mutilating and amputating your appendages, when they could just add SawStop?
- What ‘self-regulated’ factory farms are doing to your food.
- Pope Francis blasts ‘dictatorship of the global financial system’, and says the ‘cult of money’ is making life a misery for millions.
- Review on illegal drugs by the Organisation of American States is the beginning of the end of prohibition.
- Why marijuana and other drugs are illegal everywhere in the world: The Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs.
- How the ‘war on drugs’ has infringed on US civil liberties.
- Drug warriors and the ‘war on drugs’ fuel gun violence.
- Hear ye, future Deep Throats: This is how to leak to the press. (Go deep in the comments for more.)
- The New Yorker launches Strongbox, an anonymous inbox developed by Aaron Swartz.
- Did you catch Dr John Mack and several alien abductees on this famous talk show when it aired in the 90s? Part 1, part 2, and part 3.
- An uplifting talk with AP photographer David Guttenfelder.
Quote of the Day:
I could feel the weight of my lips and tongue, and I had to change how I was talking. I hadn’t realized I’d learned to talk with a weightless tongue.
Chris Hadfield, on returning to Earth after five months on the ISS.