Just what I’ve always wanted — a pet velociraptor.
- Statistical impossibility: Curiosity photographed its own ride crash-landing in the distance.
- Curiosity is in the midst of a four-day brain transplant.
- Where the minutes are longer: The weird science of telling time on Mars.
- UCLA scientist discovers plate tectonics on Mars.
- The billionaire genius, who Tony ‘Ironman’ Stark is based on, wants humans on Mars within 15 years.
- Strangest space mission superstitions.
- Biggest 3-D Universe Map created.
- Is the Sun surrounded by dark matter?
- Massive meteor impact crater from millions of years ago discovered in Canada’s western Arctic.
- Will we ever find life elsewhere in the universe?
- Open-air quantum teleportation performed across a 97km lake.
- Tangled Roots: Mingling among Stone Age peoples muddies humans’ evolutionary story.
- Ruins in Iraq could be Hira.
- Discovery of 16 buried hands in Egypt provides first physical evidence of gruesome practice used by ancient warriors.
- More humans were murdered at Treblinka in 1942 than at any other place in the history of mankind. Last two living survivors of Treblinka death camp speak of unimaginable horrors.
- Roman ship found laden with cargo.
- Divers find wreck thought to be famous 19th-century pirate ship that sank with hold full of treasure.
- Livestock mutilations shake up Gunnison, Colorado ranching community.
- Shadowy private security company with deep links to the CIA is operating a pervasive global surveillance and facial recognition network.
- How the CIA’s LSD mind-control experiments destroyed my father’s brilliant mind.
- Scientists finally conclude nonhuman animals are conscious beings. Case in point…
- You’ve got droopy drawers. For Christ’s sake, shut up!
- After 350 years of praying for smaller glaciers, Alpine pilgrims debut a Vatican-approved ritual for more, not less, ice.
- Global urban population to rise by more than 2.5 billion by 2050. Researchers reveal climatic impacts of this coming megapolitan expansion.
- Deadly floods, power blackouts and traffic gridlock — many of Asia’s biggest cities are buckling under the strain of rapid economic development, extreme weather, and an exodus from the countryside.
- Tree’s leaves genetically different from its roots.
- Mystery illness causes woman’s follicles to sprout fingernails instead of hair.
- Rate of arctic summer sea ice loss is 50% higher than predicted.
- Hundred-Year Forecast: Drought.
Quote of the Day:
I don’t know about you but I can no longer read reports, books or news stories about the devastation being wrought by global warming. How can it help me to learn even more about the apparent apocalypse that has begun to blight my granddaughter’s future when those with the power to tackle the crisis refuse to do so? It’s an Alice-in-Wonderland world where mighty multi-national corporations and the politicians who represent them neither see nor hear the evidence that civilization as we know it is under siege – from us.
Gerald Caplan, here.