Happy birthday to Loren Coleman!
- Owl leaves imprint on car window. Hoot if you like owls.
- An encounter with Mothman in North Georgia.
- Flying reptiles were alive & well when the first birds appeared.
- Get Kraken: why scientists should study sea monsters.
- That’s not a bird or a plane: atmospheric monsters lurk above the clouds.
- Is this a feather of a mythical thunderbird? I thought they were puppets…
- Last flight of the Space Shuttle Atlantis caught by weather balloon.
- Photos by father & son bookend the first & last space shuttle flights.
- Does the asteroid Vesta have a moon? If the moon has a moon…
- Lost continent discovered off coast of Scotland, och aye.
- 360° view of Chernobyl reclaimed by wilderness. A glimpse of civilisation’s fall?
- Woman faces 93 days in jail for front yard vegetable garden.
- Photo proves fish use tools, & gives Greg an excuse for not catching anything.
- Tropical lizards are smarter than previously thought. David Icke takes notes.
- Chinese mines will crush ancient Buddhist sites in Afghanistan.
- Afghanistan’s wildlife surviving in war zones; but only barely.
- Ever increasing swarms of tourists threaten Cambodia’s Angkor temples.
- Academic calls for armed guards to protect archaeological treasures.
- Mexican construction workers unearth monolith of Aztec rain god.
- 1000-year-old tiny clay head may have been shamanic tool.
- Ancient Japanese pottery shard carved with dancing shaman.
- Finally! George RR Martin’s A Dance With Dragons (Amazon US & UK).
- Bionic animals: heartbreaking & heartwarming. Neva wants her bionic eye.
Quote of the Day:
We read fantasy to find the colors again, I think. To taste strong spices and hear the songs the sirens sang. There is something old and true in fantasy that speaks to something deep within us, to the child who dreamt that one day he would hunt the forests of the night, and feast beneath the hollow hills, and find a love to last forever somewhere south of Oz and north of Shangri-La.
~ George RR Martin (full quote is simply brilliant)