My ‘thought compression app’ is on the fritz today. Greg’s gonna kill me…
- Buddhist monk Matthieu Ricard reaches out from his hermitage in the Himalayas, Nepal: The Future Doesn’t Hurt. Yet.
- A glacial lake outburst that occurred in the Himalayas thousands of years ago holds clues to the dangers faced by the entire Indus river valley system from similar events triggered by rapid climate change.
- When humans were figuring out fire 800,000 years ago, a microscopic algae vanished from the Atlantic Ocean. Now, thanks to the melting Arctic, it’s back in the North Atlantic – and not everyone is happy to see it.
- Warming oceans cause largest movement of marine species in two million years.
- Stronger ocean currents beneath West Antarctica’s Pine Island Glacier Ice Shelf are eroding the ice from below, speeding the melting of the glacier as a whole, according to a new study in Nature Geoscience.
- The oceans’ fish communities in the 21st century live fast and die young. Human fishing has greatly reduced or eliminated larger and longer-lived species that were more commonly caught in the Middle Ages.
- What top predators can tell us about ocean ecosystems.
- Japan’s nuclear engineers question the meaning of nuclear power in wake of Fukushima crisis.
- New alloy converts heat directly into electricity.
- Images of mammoth or mastodon found on 13,000-year-old bone in Florida.
- Ingenious Flat Earth theory revealed in old map.
- Otzi the Iceman gorged on goat meat before he was killed. Otzi shouldn’t have stolen that goat!
- Proposal to dig up Shakespeare’s remains — just to find out what drugs he took.
- Acid tests: research into hallucinogenic drugs shakes off decades of taboo.
- ‘New’ old crystal skull discovered in Berlin. Kinda like film #1 of the Indiana Jones series got remixed with #4.
- Spacewalking astronaut photographed…from Earth’s surface!
- A dragon fight in the heart of Orion.
- Are aliens getting less camera shy? UFOs filmed above BBC building in London on June 24, 2011.
- On June 24, 1947, Kenneth Arnold saw nine UFOs near Mt. Rainer, WA; and his sighting changed how people look up in the skies.
- The alien killed with a coal shovel: Robert Hall’s story has finally become the subject of a television documentary.
- Can neuroscience explain our paranormal obsession? I’m goin’ with ‘no’.
- New uncontacted tribe discovered in Brazil.
- Giants on Earth: Do descendants of Gigantopithecus still walk among us?
- Caught on video: Elk Rescues Drowning Marmot.
- Self-mutilation, repetitive rocking and worse: ‘Mental illness’ endemic in captive chimpanzees despite enrichment efforts by humans.
- Lithium profoundly prevents brain damage associated with Parkinson’s disease.
- Human eye can act as a compass.
- Ghostly mirages of huge cities, mountains and trees appear over river in Huanshan City, China.
- Got Twitter? You’ve been scored! Companies are scouring social networks, looking for the new ‘influencers.’
- Feds approve firm that dishes internet dirt on job applicants. Now everything you’ve EVER said on the internet, under any pseudonym, could be seen by employers.
Thanks to Andreas and Greg.
Quote of the Day:
Imagine a ship that is sinking and needs all the available power to run the pumps to drain out the rising waters. The first class passengers refuse to cooperate because they feel hot and want to use the air-conditioner and other electrical appliances. The second-class passengers spend all their time trying to be upgraded to first-class status. The boat sinks and the passengers all drown. That is where the present approach to climate change is leading.
Buddhist monk Matthieu Ricard.