If cynicism is a disease, have you caught it, or has it caught you?
- After 90 years, scholars have completed a dictionary of 28,000 words from ancient Mesopotamia.
- Purpose of ancient dodecahedron remains secret.
- King Arthur and Camelot: Why the enduring cultural fascination?
- Unlocking the secrets of the world’s volcanoes.
- The day the river boiled: Chilean volcanic eruption turns waterway into a steaming torrent.
- Clean, cheap hydrogen production from water finally achieved using cobalt catalyst.
- Single cell is the first living laser.
- The strange and wonderful world of ancient trees.
- Scientists accidently discover how to block the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Mutant gene once believed to cause cancerous tumors turns out to be the perfect weapon to stop them.
- The Myth of 9 Billion: Why ignoring family planning was the worst foreign-policy mistake of the 20th century.
- Welcome to the 21st-century food wars.
- Damaging the Earth to feed its people.
- Storms Brewing: The new politics of climate change.
- School surveillance: The many ways Big Brother now spies on students.
- Inside Anonymous: Members of the Anonymous group talk about their hacking campaign.
- Underground website lets you buy any drug imaginable. Well, not really any drug…
- Shortages of hundreds of crucial generic drugs threaten patient care.
- Two US Senators ask feds to crack down on secretive internet narcotics market operated with anonymous sales and untraceable currency, Bitcoin.
- A guide to Spielberg shout-outs in J.J. Abrams’ homage-crazy film “Super 8”.
- Copernicus on the science of J. J. Abrams’ STAR TREK!. Helpfully includes a link to this Star Trek: The Original Series Writer’s Guide.
- Striving for the speed of light.
- In praise of the profane: Matt Stone and Trey Parker, the unlikely kings of pop-culture subversion.
- South Park fans in tears over mid-season finale, ‘You’re Getting Older’. Could Matt and Trey really have succumbed to the cynicism which South Park has been relentlessly skewering for 15 years?
Quote of the Day:
I grew up with the religion of ‘Star Wars,’ frankly. That’s when I realized there is something bigger out there … and it’s called the Force.
People have a lot of different beliefs, and at the end of the day, we all have deeply held beliefs that probably don’t make sense to anyone else.