The bogeyman is dead. Long live the soon-to-be-identified new bogeyman, who’ll justify the next decade of the endless war.
- Can Egypt Protect Its Ancient Monuments? The postrevolution elation has masked a disturbing uptick in archeological plunder.
- Ancient Caithness site was occupied for 1,000 years.
- Astronomy without a telescope: cosmic magnetic fields.
- A sideways look at the moon.
- Physicists use humans to detect quantum effects.
- Seismologist claims he has finally solved the geological mystery of how the Grand Canyon was formed.
- China pays price for world’s rare earths addiction.
- How water shapes DNA.
- Mutant mouse reveals new wrinkle in genetic code.
- Seeking life’s imprint in shifting desert sand.
- Have UFOs given the US another warning about its nuclear arsenal?
- A shape-shifting monster is terrorizing a South African town. More.
- Roar talent: ‘Creature features’ are about to get a whole lot more realistic.
- New recordings of ‘extinct’ Ivory-Billed Woodpecker.
- Dog survives huge house fire by opening four doors to get into basement and sitting in tub full of water.
Quote of the Day:
Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.
Mark Twain, Chronicle of Young Satan.