Resistance is NOT futile.
- Antiquities chief Zahi Hawass sentenced to one year in jail. Dr. Hawass will appeal the jail term.
- Dr. Hawass says: ‘I have to tell the world right now, there is a story going around that I am going to be in jail, which is a complete misunderstanding.’
- Kings of the Apocalypse: Secret end times message found encoded on Westminster Abbey coronation floor.
- Textiles and rope fragments found in a Peruvian cave have been dated to around 12,000 years ago, making them the oldest textiles ever found in South America.
- New theory on date of the Last Supper — by Cambridge University physicist Sir Colin Humphreys, who was knighted last year for his contribution to science.
- Drugs, demons, or hysteria: What caused the dancing mania of 1518?
- Pantheist Abe Lincoln would be unelectable today.
- Maya collapse and modern society: Pondering archaeology’s relevance to the problems of the modern world.
- ‘The World’s Largest Dinosaurs’ at American Museum of Natural History. Slide Show.
- Stonehenge funding package unveiled.
- Space physicists puzzle over a trove of data that has just arrived from Voyager I, at the bulbous edge of the solar system.
- Earth’s worst frailty — an electro-magnetic ‘hit’.
- Rethinking the Terminator: Defence study finds need to ponder the ethics of killer robots.
- Quantum Leap: Bits of light teleported to another place.
- Computers to be taught regret so they can learn from mistakes.
- US unveils online ID system — but insists it’s not a Big Brother plan to snoop on Internet users.
- New car engine sends shock waves through auto industry.
- Brazilian police spot bad guys in a crowd using augmented reality glasses.
- The failure of the genome: If inherited genes are not to blame for our most common illnesses, how can we find out what is?
- Can music fight cancer?
- ‘Asian Unicorn’ reserve created to protect mysterious species.
- Pills that keep your mind afloat: What is the downside of brain-enhancing drugs?
- Dogs watch how people treat others to work out who to approach for food. Speaking of food…
- Seeds of salvation: The world is facing starvation as climate change and other factors disrupt food production and the population booms; and science’s last hope may be locked inside Syria’s forgotten wild plants.
- Made in China: Mercury, sulfates, ozone, black carbon, flu-laced desert dust — our toxic, imported air pollution.
- HBO in talks to make a television series from Neil Gaiman’s American Gods.
- Spirited away: How ‘poltergeist’ who scrawled on window forced a family to flee… and even freaked out ghostbusters.
- Attaching a 9V battery to your brain pumps up your gaming skills.
- Should science guide our moral decisions?
- Documentary video: Lifting the Veil: Obama and the Failure of Capitalist Democracy.
Thanks to @grailseeker, GrahamHancock.com, and Greg.
Quote of the Day:
Letter to the Ruling Class
You control our world. You’ve poisoned the air we breathe, contaminated the water we drink, and copyrighted the food we eat. We fight in your wars, die for your causes, and sacrifice our freedoms to protect you. You’ve liquidated our savings, destroyed our middle class, and used our tax dollars to bailout your unending greed. We are slaves to your corporations, zombies to your airwaves, servants to your decadence. You’ve stolen our elections, assassinated our leaders, and abolished our basic rights as human beings. You own our property, shipped away our jobs, and shredded our unions. You’ve profited off of disaster, destabilized our currencies, and raised our cost of living. You’ve monopolized our freedom, stripped away our education, and have almost extinguished our flame. We are hit… we are bleeding… but we ain’t got time to bleed. We will bring the giants to their knees and you will witness our revolution!
Attributed to Jesse Ventura.