I’m looking forward to another -7F (-21.66C) low
Tuesday Monday night, Greg’s about to float away, Red Pill Junkie’s still trying to keep his head about him, Rick’s soon to be steamed by WikiLeaks’ latest revelation, and TDG’s other admins are in stealth-mode. How’s the new year shaping up for you?
- ‘The 4 Percent Universe’: Dark matter and dueling scientists. How modern cosmologists discovered the mysterious stuff that makes up most of the universe. The 4 Percent Universe: Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality is available at Amazon US & UK.
- Toxic oceans may have poisoned early animals.
- Artificial Intelligence is here. But it’s nothing like we expected.
- Arizona shooting rampage could affect timing of NASA’s final space shuttle mission, currently set to launch April 1.
- Stunning photo of the sun, moon and space station all lined up during the recent partial eclipse.
- German astronomers have discovered a long-sought missing chunk of matter from one of the solar system’s more mysterious objects, the proto-planet Vesta.
- New evidence suggests tectonic plate shifting on Mars within the past 250,000 years.
- Moon has liquid core… reveal sensors left on lunar surface by astronauts 40 years ago.
- Earth must prepare for close encounter with extraterrestrials, say scientists. Promises, promises.
- NASA names 2012 the most absurd science-fiction film of all time.
- Hi-tech age has left us unfazed by idea of alien life.
- Cretan tools point to sea travel 130,000 ago. (Link fixxored.)
- Humans began wearing clothes 170,000 years ago, according to study of lice.
- Art historian deciphers another Da Vinci code: Mona Lisa’s identity.
- Do birds navigate via quantum entanglement?
- Clever crows use tools in a new way.
- Vietnamese jungles are home to a new species of ‘vampire’ — a ‘flying’ frog whose tadpoles sport black fangs.
- Growing old with dignity: Leaf-cutter ants retire when their teeth wear out.
- African Wild Dogs and the Allee Effect.
- After 14 million years, we are about to unseal Lake Vostok. What Lovecraftian horrors await?
- Is parapsychology the control group for science? With interesting discussion in the comments.
- Trial of green activists collapses after undercover policeman offers to give evidence in their defence.
- Mark Kennedy: A journey from undercover cop to ‘bona fide’ environmental activist.
- Ant tribe faces eviction from colonies.
- WikiLeaks: Secret whaling deal plotted by US and Japan.
- Ahhh, atheists — still as diligently preaching to the choir as… well, you know.
- How nanoparticles now being infused into hundreds of consumer products may end up in the food chain.
- ‘Race’ of giants in Northern Ireland sprang from mutant gene that first emerged around 1,500 years ago.
- Rudeness is a neurotoxin.
- Why writing by hand makes kids smarter.
- Brain researcher Dr David Nichols shocked to discover underground chemists have been poring over his research papers in order to make recreational drugs for sale on the black market.
- I’m a psychopath! BBC presenter Michael Mosley’s shocking discovery thanks to a revolutionary brain scan. How many psychopaths/sociopaths do you know? Scroll down for a great list of related articles.
Big thanks to Greg, G.C, and Red Pill Junkie.
Quote of the Day:
Time to build an ark methinks.
TDG’s Greg Taylor, in reference to the water that’s currently rising just outside his back door.