As Greg recently said, There’s some good in this world, Mr Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for. Not to mention, complacency will get you eaten by orcs.
- Unnatural Science: It started last month when 20 or so high-placed science bloggers angrily parted ways with an extremely popular and award-winning online collective called ScienceBlogs.
- Callao Man: Fossil shows humans were in the Philippines 67,000 years ago.
- Researchers unravel secret of ancient Mayan dye’s longevity.
- Long Ago Person Found in Alaskan glacier: An excerpt from Lynn Schooler‘s Walking Home: A Traveler in the Alaskan Wilderness, a Journey into the Human Heart (Amazon US & UK).
- Ethiopia’s hyenas: Not biting the hand that feeds them. An Oz paleoanthropologist is researching the unusual social dynamic.
- When Bambi goes bad-ass: What’s with aggressive deer? It could be they like urban life. 2-min video, not for the faint of heart.
- Polar bear attacks camper in his tent and drags him 130ft by his head.
- Grizzly bear euthanized after fatal mauling that perplexes experts.
- Cryptid mystery, man missing — Salla, Lapland region, Finland.
- Mystery sea creature stalking British coast had fish so terrified, they beached themselves. Photo has marine experts scratching their heads.
- British scientists find world’s sixth-largest river… at the bottom of the ocean.
- Space station drama as cooling system fails.
- A world of difference between ‘Earth-like’ and ‘Earth-sized’.
- Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty is frying graphics cards. Blizzard issues temporary fix.
- Insufficient data: What is the minimum number of people needed to maintain our current level of technological civilization? Wow – over 360 comments!
- Minority Report-style billboards which can recognise passers-by, target them with customised adverts, and even use their names, are being developed by computer engineers.
- Clone farm’s milk is secretly on sale in Britain: Watchdog investigates after farmer’s astonishing admission.
- What David Icke wrote about Barack Obama amid all the extraordinary hype before he came to office. Recognise him now?
- Medieval castle being built with techniques of the time – iron tools and no electricity.
H/T to xnewsnow.
Quote of the Day:
The technetronic era involves the gradual appearance of a more controlled society. Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen and maintain up-to-date complete files containing even the most personal information about the citizen. These files will be subject to instantaneous retrieval by the authorities.
Zbigniew Brzezinski, in Between Two Ages: America’s Role in the Technetronic Era (1970).