If I’m lying, I’m dying — today that ole saying makes even less sense than usual.
- Science takes on lying and (not) dying.
- Lost technologies of ancient Egypt. See video.
- The Masonic Temple of the Founding Fathers.
- Female gladiator remains found in Herefordshire.
- Saber-toothed cats strong-armed their prey.
- Dinosaurs nestled up to geysers, hot springs to lay eggs.
- Secrets of Mummies unraveled in California. A howler monkey in a feathered skirt?
- David Livingstone letter deciphered at last.
- Apple ‘stunned’ to find flaw in iPhone 4.
- FakeSteve got it right: Leaked memo reveals what Apple really thinks of its customers.
- We’re finally catching up to plants: Car fuel made from sunlight.
- Reading on iPad and Kindle up to 10 percent slower than good ol’-fashioned paper-and-ink.
- The ancient art of hidden writing.
- In antiquity, many of Plato’s followers said his books contained hidden layers of meaning and secret codes. These newly re-discovered codes suggest Plato was a secret follower of the philosopher Pythagoras.
- Extraordinary map reveals Earth’s gravity field for the first time.
- Think your opinion of Goldman Sachs and its swarm of Wall Street allies has rock-bottomed at raw loathing? You’re wrong. There’s more. Here’s the geekier version (pdf).
- Can money buy happiness? Gallup poll asks, and the world answers.
- The toxic truth about mega-farms: Chemical fumes, distressed animals, poisoned locals driven from their homes and worse.
- Unmanned Russian cargo ship docks successfully with the International Space Station (ISS), two days after a similar attempt failed.
- Volunteers to move tens of thousands of turtle eggs from Gulf’s oil-soaked beaches to Florida’s Atlantic coast.
- It’s not just BP’s oil that’s a threat to the world’s oceans.
- Giant otters are people too.
- Will California’s marijuana legalization vote radically alter our collective consciousness?
- Classical music moves the heart in vegetative patients.
- Absence of Mind: At the same time as the western scientific revolution empowered human beings, opened new worlds and broadened their horizons, it progressively punctured their self-esteem.
- Amazonian Indians much more advanced than previously suspected.
- The Willpower Paradox: Setting your mind on a goal may be counterproductive.
- Out of this world, out of our minds: How did you celebrate World UFO day?
- UFOs? At nuclear bases?
- Tin Man: Could we make living spaceships from synthetic chemical signals?
Big thanks to Greg for about half today’s news, and to Randall for the heads-up on the corporate future of marijuana.
Quote of the Day:
The public always wonders: Does money make you happy? This study shows that it all depends on how you define happiness, because if you look at life satisfaction, how you evaluate your life as a whole, you see a pretty strong correlation around the world between income and happiness. On the other hand, it’s pretty shocking how small the correlation is with positive feelings and enjoying yourself.
University of Illinois professor emeritus of psychology Ed Diener, a senior scientist with the Gallup Organization.