Winter, spring, summer or fall, it’s always a Swell Season.
- Think humankind is immune to extinction? Think again.
- Mass extinctions and the open ocean.
- Separating the quantum and classical worlds, one ripple at a time.
- Solar Tsunamis. SSIE.
- Fossils from the once swampy Sahara reveal a cache of crocodiles.
- Fossilized mammoth dung reveals clues to the woolly one’s demise.
- NASA greenights test to study long-term effects of radiation on primates for future space travel. What, Carrot Top wasn’t available?
- Trials to cure blindness with embryonic stem cells could soon be underway. Ladies and gentlemen, start your controversy engines…
- Trials to study whether blind people hallucinate on LSD reveal illuminating results.
- New evidence leads to new understanding of large animal extinction.
- The LHC restart could take place this weekend. Higgs Boson here we come!
- The birth of a star, captured on video.
- Do you want to go… faster?
- Scientists discover that eating buttered movie theater popcorn is equal to 3 quarter-pounders with 12 pats of butter. Cheeseburger popcorn, anyone?
- Then again, if we all stopped eating beef the Earth might breathe a welcome sigh of methane-free relief.
- Will religion evolve, devolve or disappear?
- Is the mysterious X-37, the Space Shuttle’s red-headed stepchild?
- Can you memorize 4000 numbers in sequence? Are you training for the Memory Olympics? The geeks shall inherit the Earth!
- And if you’re training for said Menta-lympics, you’re probably sleeping with lots of sounds to keep your gray matter finely honed.
- Nominations for the Bad Faith Awards are now open—Who’ll take the trophy for most outstanding contribution to the cause of unreason this year? Place your bets!
- Were the ancient Greeks sun worshippers? Just ask their temples.
- Small world, big pictures. Not to be confused with TV’s ‘Small Wonder’.
- The genetic maze of maize, solved.
- Are you in like Flynn? Fire up your light-cycles kids, because TRON Legacy is coming soon to theater near you (and by soon I mean Dec. 2010).
Many thanks to Greg & RPJ & Moezilla!
Quote of the Day:
“Probably the central concept of shamanism, wherever in the world it is found, is the notion that underlying all the visible forms in the world, animate and inanimate, there lies a vital essence from which they emerge and by which they are nurtured. Ultimately everything returns to this ineffable, mysterious impersonal unknown…”
Douglas Sharon, Wizard of the Four Winds: A Shaman’s Story