Arthur C. Clarke’s ‘three laws of prediction’ in action…
- Creating galaxies from thin air.
- Faster than a speeding bullet — it’s a backwards-flying comet passing by the Earth (visibly) on Monday night.
- Has Google Ocean found Atlantis off of Africa? Perhaps at first glance – but it’s merely an artifact of Google’s map-making process.
- The mystery of universal, self assembling molecular machines (ribosomes) has been resolved.
- Gravity holes… Because black holes are so yesterday.
- Deposits at the Longyabyen ‘doomsday’ seed vault are on the rise.
- The meteorite trifecta: For the first time *ever*, lab-coats detect an asteroid before it hits the atmosphere, observe said fireball burning across the sky — and find pieces of said space rock in the Sudan.
- Can geo-engineering rebuild the planet?
- Are aliens already among us?
- The mystery of light pillars, explained (with photos).
- A discovery of mammoth proportions beneath an L.A. parking lot.
- And in the ‘art imitates life imitating a NASA mission imitating a Thomas Dolby song department’, Jupiter’s Europa topples a Titan.
- Like molten clockwork, Chile’s Chaiten volcano spews ash into the Santiago sky.
- New, ‘green’ shock-absorbers to power next gen hybrid cars?
- Manmade snow shuts down 12 highways in China.
- Meanwhile, ‘melt-pools’ of real snow are accelerating the loss of ice in the Arctic.
- An atlas of dying languages across the globe.
- Sir Terry Pratchett gets knighted. And tells us all why we need to talk about dementia.
- Your honor, I present… the case of the People vs. George Lucas. And while you’re there, don’t miss ’chewbacca cabinet’.
- Watchmen’s epic-within-an-epic ‘Tales of the Black Freighter’ won’t be in theaters, but it will be included on DVD and Blu-ray.
- And last but by no means least, the video game we’ve all been waiting for… Van Halen Asteroids – The Diamond Dave Edition.
Danke to Greg, RPJ, Perceval, Bertie and Q
Quote of the Day:
“…Might as well jump.”
D. L. Roth