“I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray…”
- Look, up in the sky… it’s a runaway star system.
- UFO’s in the UK? The latest on the wind turbine / UFO incident in Lincolnshire.
- The threat of a quiet sun.
- ‘Chicken or the Egg’ argument for galaxies and black holes has been solved. More here.
- The future of space flight may all be in your mind. A new generation of armchair astronauts (nay cybernauts) is born.
- Sunken Stonehenge in Lake Michigan? H/t to The Anomalist for the link.
- Mystery signal from deep space, thanks to an atypical ARCADE. More here.
- “We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world’s first bionic man . Sadly, Lee Majors was not consulted.
- Climate change and food shortages, coming soon (relatively speaking) to a century near you.
- New study shows how decreases in plankton lead to global cooling.
- The secret of Pterosaur flight revealed.
- First Americans arrived in two separate migrations – scientifically known as the early and late bus.
- Immortality by way of jellyfish.
- Physician, heal thyself.
- We all live in a yellow submarine – granted, with Antarctic-exploring robots. And whilst we’re on the subject of robots, meet Basil.
- Habitable exoplanets (in our galaxy) may be more common than we thought.
- Mummy of female pharaoh uncovered. Hell hath no fury…
- A brain freeze (sans milk shake) could save your life.
BIG dankë schöens to RPJ and GT. Here’s to a brilliant, bright 2009 for one and all!
Quote of the Day:
“That’s home. That’s us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every “superstar”, every “supreme leader”, every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.”
Carl Sagan, on Planet Earth