With my apologies to Hagrid… How often do you find a mainstream media article on the Sphinx, even if you’re in the trade?
- The Great Sphinx of Giza may have started out with the face of a lion thousands of years before the pyramids were built.
- Lost city of the ‘cloud people’ found in Peru.
- Leading scientists warn that Earth needs an asteroid shield. More.
- Melting ice may slow global warming: Scientists say minerals found in collapsing ice sheets could feed plankton and cut CO2 emissions.
- Scientists devise experiment to convince people that they inhabit a different body. Illusion gives people out-of-body experience.
- 12 Living Fossils: sticking to their evolutionary guns for millions of years.
- Archaeologists find Stone Age string.
- The Atlas of True Names shows how global places came to be named. This etymological take traces Great Britain to ‘Great Land of the Tattooed’. Supporting evidence?
- You know the old saying about idle hands? Multiply that by 8 in the case of Otto the Octopus.
- Scientists find that dogs have complex emotions such as jealousy and pride.
- Herpes virus shown to be a major cause of the protein plaques associated with Alzheimer’s disease. More.
- Faulty ‘internal body clock’ gene linked to risk of type II diabetes.
- Scientists warn that men are at risk of being ‘feminised’ by thousands of gender-bending chemicals which are changing the behaviour of humans and animals. More.
- Genes linked to intelligence also influence quality of sperm, say researchers.
- Doctor discovers chemical cure for alcoholism. Baclofen, commonly used to treat muscle spasms, appears to suppress the craving for alcohol.
- Saltwater crops could put an end to the problem of biofuel vs. food.
- Dec. 8, 1993: Location, Location, Location.
- Hubble upgrade rescheduled for May. Includes new image of globular cluster M13.
- The original 1951 version of The Day the Earth Stood Still influenced everything, from Steven Spielberg’s sci-fi oeuvre to President Reagan’s Cold War philosophy.
- Do alien civilizations use advanced plasma engineering to construct spacecraft?
- Ufologist Nick Pope tells you how to survive an alien invasion. At least, of the celluloid kind…
- Mormon missionaries in British Columbia find 20-inch-long Sasquatch footprints.
- Immortal Sasquatch still immune to cynics.
- Previously undisclosed archives suggest black magic was involved in King Edward VIII’s decision to abdicate the throne.
- ‘UFO Hacker’ Gary McKinnon given yet another lifeline.
- Are you considered ‘designated key personnel’ in the case of a massive disaster/attack?
Big thanks to Greg.
Quote of the Day:
“Klaatu barada nikto.”