I can’t believe the news today…
- Fireball in the Los Angeles sky remains a mystery. More here.
- As if the real ones aren’t bad enough… Fake pesticides: illegal chemicals in counterfeit products sold in Europe.
- Planetary headlines from the Messenger spacecraft: Mercury is shrinking. More here from Nat. Geo. about volcanoes and magnetic fields on Mercury.
- Awesome near-Earth asteroid graphics
- Thailand’s Administrative Court handed down an injunction against the Thai cabinet’s endorsement of Cambodia’s bid to propose the Preah Vihear temple as a World Heritage site, because such support “might undermine Thailand’s future standing on a territorial dispute.” Photo of said temple.
- Syria unearths 2300 year old pharoanic engraving.
- The ten worst moments of the Bush presidency.
- Obama backs “faith-based initiatives”, and enrages atheist voters.
- Two kids in Spain admitted to mental health institution for the growing problem of mobile phone addiction. Srsly noobz.
- In other childish news… A kid in Sweden has caused political controversy by not inviting two of his classmates to his birthday party.
- Using causality to solve the puzzle of space-time.
- A former miner who’d never picked up a brush hears ‘spirit voices’ and creates ‘spirit paintings’, now on display in Paris.
- Pwnage news – FBI’s next generation ID database to store face scans.
- Water-boarding is not a new Olympic event, but…China apparently inspired interrogations at Guantánamo.
- Super atoms turn periodic table upside down.
- The biblical allegories of Pixar’s Wall-E.
- Right-Wings Apoplectic Over Pixar’s WALL-E: ‘Malthusian Fear Mongering,’ ‘Fascistic Elements’.
- David Byrne: From Talking Heads to musical buildings.
- NASA considers development of student-led ‘Satellite Initiative’.
- Foreign security guards in Iraq — read Blackwater & Co. — may lose immunity.
- In space, someone can hear you scream. And by “you” I mean “Earth”…
- The shape of asteroids and space-rocks explained?
- And what would Independence Day be without an alien interview. Because vampires, ghosts and goblins are so passé…
- Green fireworks? Scientist work to build a better roman candle.
Huuuuuge thanks to Greg, Rick, Kat and RPJ… Happy July 4th!
Quote of the Day:
It’s an amazing thing to think that ours is the first generation in history that really can end extreme poverty, the kind that means a child dies for lack of food in its belly. We have the science, the technology, and the wealth. What we don’t have is the will, and that’s not a reason that history will accept….