In recent months my PC blew up, my mobile died and the repairman can’t figure out why, my television stopped working, my mp3 player plays weird distorted sounds, my new Mac has faulty screen resolution, and the cat is looking at me like it’s all my fault.
- New clinical trial praises beneficial effects of psilocybin mushrooms. Indigenous shaman around the world roll their eyes and say, “Duh!”
- Mad to live, mad to be saved, mad for mushrooms (with delicious recipes!). This humble fungus is a superfood.
- Rituals of the Andes: terrific feature on ayahuasca shamanism and Andean culture.
- Paintings by Augustin Lesage, a miner who had never painted before in his life and said he was guided by spirit beings, are on display in Paris.
- Salman Rushdie and the Renaissance, the fantastic, and the power of beauty. The Enchantress of Florence (Amazon US or UK).
- Good sailing, Ahab: Don S. Davis, 1942 – 2008. Best known for his roles in Twin Peaks and Stargate, he played Agent Scully’s father in one of the best episodes of the X-Files, Beyond the Sea.
- Madame Marie, the psychic made famous by Bruce Springsteen, has passed to the other side aged 93. Her craft continues through the next generation of clairsentients.
- Since these tv interviews with Donald Keyhoe 50 years ago, have we advanced our understanding of UFOs? Still has the ‘U’ in it.
- Royal Navy engineer sees disc-shaped UFO above M5.
- Welsh ‘Roswell’ witness breaks his silence after 34 years.
- Here’s an update on the cold-fusion demonstration in Japan a few weeks ago.
- About 330ft underground in Switzerland, it’s about to reach absolute zero.
- Scientists reassure us there’s nothing to fear from the world’s biggest atom smasher. Got your trusty crowbar ready, RPJ?
- If scientists don’t know what to expect from the LHC, how can we be so sure there’s nothing to be worried about? Don’t panic!
- Good news everyone! Stephen Hawking has an explosive new theory on the creation of the universe.
- I have some bad news, everyone: the unknown risks of nanotechnology.
- Accidental fungus may become promising cancer drug.
- Happy 150th birthday, Darwinian evolution! Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, you smell like a monkey, and you’re descended from one too.
- The U.S. removes Nelson Mandela from their terrorist list as an early birthday present. You should see the presents they bring to bar mitzvahs.
- Bill Moyers — it was oil all along.
Thanks Greg and Kat.
Quote of the Day:
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.