There’s a moral in this news somewhere…
- The only surviving copy of a 500-year-old map that was the first to use the name America goes on permanent display, but its mysteries remain unsolved.
- A review of Lost Lands, Forgotten Realms by Dr Bob Curran and illustrated by Ian Daniels: sunken continents, vanished cities, and kingdoms that history misplaced (Amazon US or UK).
- Way back in 2005, Dr Curran spoke to Paranormal Podcast about vampires and why Hollywood gets them wrong. Except Buffy.
- If anyone has a spare copy of The Otherworld, edited by Bob Curran, I’d love to have a read, it looks brilliant.
- The remains of a bus-sized prehistoric sea monster found on a Svalbard island may be a new species never seen before.
- A review of A Wizard’s Bestiary by Oberon Zell-Ravenheart and Ash Dekirk, an encyclopedic resource of mythical and legendary creatures (Amazon US or UK).
- Many moons ago Nick Redfern interviewed Neil Arnold, author of Monster!, an A-Z guide to mysterious creatures known as zooform phenomena (US or UK).
- In 1969, a goat-fish-man was seen in a Texan lake. Capricorn, or Oannes?
- Who, or what, was the hooded, shadowy being that inspired Brad Steiger to write Revelation: The Divine Fire (Amazon US or UK)?
- Spooky lights over Teignmouth, England, have freaked out some locals.
- Has an amateur astronomer filmed a secret military satellite?
- Chimpanzees have outscored university students in memory tests.
- You know the world is messed up when high school kids wearing peace shirts get harrassed and abused and blamed for inciting hatred.
- Discovery of an 800-year-old burial ground has halted construction of an elementary school in New Mexico. Lucky kids; my school was built on toxic waste.
- An ancient Roman wood and ivory throne has been unearthed in Herculaneum. The coffee-table remains lost.
- Photo gallery and video of a 2000-year-old tomb’s excavation in China.
- Archaeologists are puzzled by three ceramic heads unearthed in Scotland.
- A Maya ‘death vase’ has been discovered in a 1400-year-old grave.
- An environmental archaeologist thinks a comet caused a cataclysmic global flood 5000-years-ago.
- Astronomers have discovered white dwarf stars with pure carbon atmospheres.
- Exploring the secrets of dark energy and why it’s pushing the universe apart.
- Stuck since November, NASA’s Mars rover Spirit has freed itself from loose Martian soil. It’s the Duracell bunny.
- A fuel cell that uses pollution from coal and metal mines to generate electricity has been successfully tested.
- Forget oil, shortages of clean water are likely to be the trigger for future wars.
- Oil is over $100 per barrel, so where are the electric cars?
- Robotex, the brainchild of Terry Izumi (a reclusive filmmaker with samurai ancestry who has trained Secret Service agents), combines the latest in robotics and weaponry. Oh, did I mention there’s a Blackwater connection?
Thanks Kat, Greg, and Baldrick (no relation).
Quote of the Day:
A vampire, or a victim
It depends on who’s around