First there was this odd report about a failed attempt to arrest him; then came an assassination attempt – by someone who knew the ‘where and when’ details of his ‘unscheduled’ visit to Afghanistan. Looks like the question of the day is, will Cheney make it back to his bunker before strike three?
- Update: Explosion of Russian rocket-stage in space created thousands of pieces of orbiting debris which could threaten other spacecraft.
- Rosetta swings past Mars during eclipse.
- South Pole Telescope achieves first light.
- Photos of Comet McNaught reveal jets of gas spiraling thousands of miles into space.
- Milky Way black hole may be colossal ‘particle accelerator’.
- Computer model suggests two-star collision yielded three-ring nebula.
- The explosion of a Russian rocket stage in space has created a huge debris field that could threaten spacecraft.
- Enviro-cateclysm of the week: Researchers discover climate change amplifying mechanism.
- Study moves chimp-human split to 4 million years ago.
- Filmmakers claim Jesus’ tomb found in Israel. The Guardian‘s take.
- Flame First, Think Later: New clues to e-mail misbehavior.
- Egyptian officials say Giza pyramids deserve elevation beyond seven-wonders poll.
- The cenotes of the Yucatán – portals to the underworld.
- Is Bigfoot living in the forest above Marysville, CA? With video.
- CSI technology unlocks secrets of ancient fabric. Ohio yarn was spun so finely, the fabric was sheer.
- Lightning strikes from the mouths of volcanos.
- Japanese scientists find way to store digital data in the DNA of bacteria.
- By injecting live bacteria into the ground, scientists hope to turn sandy soil into solid rock – to prevent liquifaction during earthquakes.
- Democracy Now’s interview with Chalmers Johnson about his latest book, Nemesis: The Last Days of the American Republic (Amazon US & UK).
- Surveillance cameras get smarter.
- Global capitalism now has no serious rivals. But it could destroy itself.
- Is the UK government really building a Big Brother-style super-database?
- In US, record numbers are plunged into poverty.
- A review of Joe Conason’s new book It Can Happen Here: Authoritarian Peril In The Age of Bush (Amazon US & UK). Excerpt.
- How the tv show ’24’ has changed society’s perception of torture.
- Vichy America and the global corporate empire.
- In Florence, Italy, a mammoth urine sample taken from the sewerage over six months revealed that over 12 kilos of cocaine had been snorted, equivalent to more than 482,000 lines, almost one line per Florentine.
- Verner Vinge on: What if the Singularity Does NOT Happen?
- Joe Rogan talks about his DMT experiences (psychedelic video – which begins loading when you click – with audio overlay, which includes an abundance of expletives). Transcript and MP3.
Quote of the Day:
Apparently there is a great discovery or insight which our culture is deliberately designed to suppress, distort and ignore. That is that Nature is some kind of minded entity. That Nature is not simply the random flight of atoms through electromagnetic fields. Nature is not the empty, despiritualized lumpen matter that we inherit from modern physics. But it is instead a kind of intelligence, a kind of mind.