A tsunami 130 feet high, and traveling at 450 mph, sounds like the makings of a helluva flood to me. Post your thoughts.
- 4.5 billion year old meteorite contains organic matter far older than our solar system. More.
- Cyanobacteria Catch 22: How photosynthetic organisms caused a rise in atmospheric oxygen 2.5 billion years ago.
- Towering ancient tsunami devastated the Mediterranean 8,000 years ago.
- A series of massive droughts killed giant kangaroos and other megafauna in south-east Queensland 40,000 years ago.
- Very ancient Snake Cult: Archaeologists prove humans worshipped the python 70,000 years ago.
- In an article published today in the Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Michel Barsoum, a professor of materials engineering, says some parts of the Giza pyramids are made of cast concrete blocks. More.
- Roman sarcophagus discovered near Trafalgar Square could lead to the map of Roman London being redrawn.
- Is 1,400-year-old treasure evidence of Christianity’s first foothold in Britain?
- Asymmetric ashes: Astronomers study shape of stellar candles.
- Enviro-cateclysm of the week: Viruses frozen in Siberian lakes prompts scientists to examine if global warming may release harmful microbes locked in glaciers.
- Not so long ago, the notion that particles 80,000 times thinner than a human hair could somehow self-assemble and cause harmful effects in the water, air and even cells seemed far-fetched, but chemists are now trying to understand the effects of nanoparticles and other contaminants, and discover ways to cope with them.
- Fragmentation is eroding Amazonian biodiversity far faster than previously suspected.
- The first case of a blind man experiencing déjà vu – through smell, hearing and touch – has turned the ‘optical pathway delay’ explanation on its head.
- Common chemotherapy drugs found to cause brain damage, not to mention heart failure.
- The Quest for Truth: Mysteries, Enigmas and the Unexplained, a new, free e-book, is a compendium of 75 in-depth articles written by ThothWeb’s members on everything from Bigfoot sightings to UFOs.
- When Nazis went wyrd: A review of Richard Rudgley’s Pagan Resurrection: A Force for Evil or the Future of Western Spirituality? (Amazon US & UK).
- More about the mystery of the Antikythera Mechanism, including 3D animation, the inner workings, and great close-up photos.
- What people are saying about the gears of the ancient mariner.
- Have you had your therapeutic dose of beauty today?
- Update: Chemicals within us: National Geographic Magazine paid $15,000 to test for the trace-chemicals of modern life in the body of this feature article’s author, David Ewing Duncan.
- Earth in the Beginning.
Quote of the Day:
Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge.
Don Henley, My Thanksgiving