Bill, this first one is for you.
- ‘Protecting virus’ converts flu viruses into their own vaccines, offering instant flu protection against full range of influenza A infections, including H5N1 and any new pandemic or epidemic strains infecting humans.
- Selfish impulse is set free by magnetic pulse to the brain.
- Marijuana’s key ingredient may help fight Alzheimer’s.
- Here’s why you hate Mondays.
- Climate experts predict extreme droughts will spread, resulting in mass migrations of climate refugees. What’s the frequency up to now – one cataclysmic prediction per week?
- Researchers link Ice-Age climate records to rapid changes in ocean salinity.
- Small particles of pollution in the atmosphere may be altering monsoon rain patterns.
- Up close and personal with a leaking magnetosphere.
- Giant gas loops found rising above the Milky Way.
- Discovery of 16 planets deep in the Milky Way leads scientists to conclude there are probably billions of planets spread throughout the galaxy.
- Galaxy Gardening: more than a hobby for future moon and Mars residents.
- First quantum teleportation between light and matter.
- Intelligent, emotional, ingenious: the amazing truth about whales and dolphins.
- Peru finds ancient burial cave of warrior tribe.
- Update: Mummies of ‘cloud warriors’ tribe found in Peruvian cave. (Read, save, or pay-per-view later.)
- Why woodpeckers don’t get headaches, and other Ig Nobel Prize winners.
- China has beamed a ground-based laser at U.S. spy satellites over its territory, exposing the potential vulnerability of space systems which provide crucial data to US troops and to consumers around the world.
- Seizures of radioactive materials fuel ‘dirty bomb’ fears.
- Oh, dear – Does this news fall into the category of politics or science?
- Personal Preparedness: Ready or Really Ready?
- A review of Edward O. Wilson’s The Creation: An Appeal to Save Life on Earth. Amazon US & UK.
- Study says 1959 lab meltdown caused cancer.
- We are fighting the wrong war.
- Typically thought of as England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, the ‘British Isles’ actually number way over a thousand.
- There’s definitely a large black panther on the loose in Indiana. After clicking the video link (and enduring the ad), skip directly to the middle of the video to see clear, unambiguous footage of the cat.
- ‘Monster’ fossils found in Jurassic graveyard on Arctic island off Norway.
- How to fix the global economy by Nobel Laureate Joseph E. Stiglitz. Well, somebody needs to fix it, because half of the UK’s university graduates under 40 are unable to buy a home.
- Moyers On America – Capitol Crimes: Following the money through the bizarre maze of Congressional corruption. This transcript is a hard, but rewarding, slog.
- Russia issues massive warning: people who give or take bribes are going to burn in hell.
- Does God Want You To Be Rich?
- The Secrets of the Circle, the Serpent and the Goddess.
- Tourists flock to ‘Bosnian pyramids’.
- The Guardian asked 49 musicians, producers and writers to tell them about their favorite obscure album. Tell them about your favorite, and you could win £500 worth of music.
- The Inner and Outer Light of Aten.
Quote of the Day:
The gigantic catastrophes that threaten us today are not elemental happenings of a physical or biological order, but psychic events. To a quite terrifying degree we are threatened by wars and revolutions which are nothing other than psychic epidemics. At any moment several millions of human beings may be smitten with a new madness, and then we shall have another world war or devastating revolution. Instead of being at the mercy of wild beasts, earthquakes, landslides, and inundations, modern man is battered by the elemental forces of his own psyche.