I’m just full of questions today. Have instruction manuals always sucked? What kind of punishment would you love to see visited on people who yank out their credit cards in response to spam? Why isn’t free-market capitalism preventing all – these – electric – power – outages? With what you have right now, could you make it through 10 days without electricity – with all nearby shops powerless too? And last but not least, can anyone explain why we humans are so insane? (Stupid human tricks run the gamut, but running 135 miles non-stop in 123 degree Fahrenheit heat takes the cake.)
- US cedes control of the internet. Now what?
- Ancient human footprints uncovered in Australia.
- More about the medieval Book of Psalms found in an Irish bog.
- Pterosaur mystery solved.
- Newfound blob is biggest thing in the universe.
- Outer solar system is busy, busy, busy.
- Planets could put the brake on young stars.
- Scientists suggest we curb global warming by shooting sulfur into the atmosphere.
- Researcher says, ‘I would like to remove my name from the list of scientists who dispute global warming. I know my co-authors would as well.’
- Cosmic dust ruled out in ancient global warming.
- The Ice that Burns (pdf – 319KB): Burning Questions about Gas Hydrates. (html preview)
- New eco-heating system is designed for the lazy. If opening each month’s utility bill gives you a fresh shock, you might want to read this article, especially that last paragraph.
- Researchers are using speech technology to better understand what animal sounds might mean.
- Experimental pill may prevent Alzheimer’s.
- More on the wound-healing power of electricity. Speaking of skin ailments – do you do yoga?
- Water, water everywhere, but is it safe to drink?
- The Rise and Fall of a Spam King. It would suit me if the courts forced all spammers to do nothing but read spam 10 or 12 hours a day, for years on end, with the length of their sentence based on how much spam they sent.
- How to get out of your cell phone service contract, trick out your web site and MySpace page, foil your snooping boss, and more tips for optimizing your digital life.
- Hey dude – where’s my raise? (And you thought you were the only one.)
- Big oil reports breathtaking profits: What do you think they should do with all that cash?
- Engineering professor plans to destroy Glasgow tower block to shed light on 9/11 fire.
Quote of the Day:
There are 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don’t.