Christmas Holidays? Bah, HUMBUG!
- Instead of egg-nog this Christmas, leave a glass of Deus out for Santa Claus.
- HOw Christian is Christmas, anyways? Here’s another take on Mithraism and Christmas from the Hindu World Wide Web.
- Here’s another good article. The Merriest Days of the Year: Unearthing the Pagan Origins of Christmas.
- The Garden of Eden before the apple was eaten is about to become America’s first Christian nudist camp. Church pews are uncomfortable to sit on when you’re clothed, imagine the pain without pants!
- Italy’s leading exorcist says there are up to 330 priests practicing the Vatican-approved procedure for casting out demons.
- U2 leadsinger Bono and billionaires Bill and Melinda Gates are Time’s Persons of the Year, for being shrewd about doing good, for rewiring politics and re-engineering justice, for making mercy smarter and hope strategic and then daring the rest of us to follow. Bono, I’ll follow you anywhere.
- Moby is to become the first pop star to visit outer space, without the aid of hallucinogenic drugs.
- A new robot demonstrates self-awareness, able to recognize the difference between a mirror image of itself and another robot that looks just like it.
- Have the constraints of physics remained unchanged since the Big Bang?
- A swath of space beyond Neptune is getting stranger all the time as astronomers find an ever-more diverse array of objects in bizarre orbits and groupings. Space, the final frontier.
- In the northern hemisphere, the constellation of Orion is throwing a leg up over our fence of the mountains.
- Army Lt. Walter Haut, who issued the news release in 1947 that began the infamous Roswell UFO crash mystery, died on Thursday.
- KGB’s secret UFO files finally made public: the KGB agents were making records of UFO observations in special Blue Folder.
- UFO sightings in Russia, a 2005 wrap-up.
- Exo-politics seems a little like post modernism; not sure how to define it, and once you do, you’ve missed the point.
- Is this a pyramid on Mars, or just an unusually shaped hill?
- Have the mysterious chupacabras returned to Entre Rios?
- Stalin planned to create an army of ape-man super-warriors!
- Perhaps he’s responsible for a young Russian girl turning into a cactus.
- What do the break-up of the Soviet Union, the Chernobyl disaster, Boris Yeltsin’s electoral victory, the date of Stalin’s death, the sinking of the Russian submarine Kursk, and Topalov’s victory in the world chess tournament this year have in common? Before conspiracy theorists get carried away; they are all events said to have been foretold by “Baba Vanga”.
- Scientists have mapped part of the genome of the woolly mammoth, a huge mammal that’s been extinct for about 10,000 years: a breakthrough that could lead to recreating the creatures.
- Do African elephants get drunk on naturally-fermented fruit? And do they see pink people?
- The world’s largest collection of fossil human footprints, dating from the planet’s last ice age, has been discovered in Mungo National Park, 110km north-east of Mildura, Australia.
- Here’s the 139-page PDF for the Pennsylvania Intelligent Design court ruling. Darwin won, by the way.
- And because I care about your health over this festive season, here’s an article discussing why combining artificial food colourings, flavours and preservatives are bad for you.
- I’m joking about the “humbug” thing, I hope you all have a peaceful and happy festive season, whatever faith you follow, wherever you may live, whoever you may be. Peace and respect to all.
Quotes of the Day:
I’m not an Indigo Child, I’m just a grumpy old man.
Rico, TDG News Admin
May you have a Merry Christmas, a Kwazy Kwanzaa, a Tip-Top Tep, a Dignified Ramadan, a Happy Hannukah, a Whacky Wiccan Ritual, and a Joyous Jedi Council
Rico paraphrasing Krusty the Clown