Well, here I am, I made it, my last news briefs for 2012. I'll be back sometime in 2013, my consciousness expanded... or possibly just my waistline. Thank you all for sticking with the Grail, and I wish you a safe and happy holiday season.
- Do we all secretly want the end of the world? Just 2012, it's been a crap year.
- Was Earth's most devastating mass extinction caused by a single microbe?
- Entire microbe communities live in the clouds. Cue new UFO theory...
- Earth As Art: free ebook of landscape satellite images from NASA.
- Taken while in Saturn's shadow, NASA's Cassini snaps a stunning backlit image.
- The Overview Effect: awesome video featuring five astronauts describing how seeing the Earth from orbit changed their perspectives forever.
- Tau Ceti, the nearest Sun-like star to the Earth, hosts five planets, one potentially habitable.
- Maori stones may hold clues to Earth's magnetic field.
- Are we simply biological robots? Dr Mario Beaurogard on Skeptiko (Amazon).
- Chapel of Sacred Mirrors: cosmic creativity, entheogens, and psilocybin with Allyson and Alex Grey.
- Mayan sun god masks & Neanderthal medicine chests: the best archaeological finds of 2012.
- Amazon caves that hold priceless prehistoric secrets to be destroyed by giant iron ore mine.
- Old bones reveal how prehistoric people cared for their sick & disabled.
- Temple dedicated to Poseidon unearthed in Bulgarian town.
- Spider creates elaborate decoy spiders in its web.
- Great Boo's up! King Richard III's Blue Boar Inn recreated by archaeologists.
- Britons must overcome 43 separate instincts to get out of bed each morning.
- Is this video of an eagle snatching a child a fake, or very good timing?
- Finnicky felines fussy about their food have science on their side.
- Guaranteed to melt your heart, photos of a wild monkey that adopted an abandoned kitten. I wonder if they're still together?
Many thanks to Kat and Greg.
Quote of the Day
Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects.