“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one…”
- Into the black hole.
- Losing your mind to find spirituality…
- The holographic universe?
- Saturn’s twin auroras viewed during equinox.
- Two moons above Tatooine-- I mean Saturn.
- That’s no Space Station… It’s Saturn’s 'Death Star' moon.
- Will Earth’s twin be discovered this year? Perhaps he means 'Htrae'?
- The Anti-Sheldrake Phenomenon. SSIA.
- Top ten countdown of carnivorous plants.
- Teleporting energy with quantum physics.
- The end of manned spaceflight?
- Beneath the Nazca Lines.
- Atlantis, by way of Spain.
- Erupting undersea volcano considers terra-forming. Link is broken so click on Nat. Geo's 'Most Popular Stories' to see stunning photos.
- Scientists find link between Indonesia’s mud eruption and drilling.
- Was NASA’s plan to return to the moon just an illusion?
- NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory is up, up and away.
- Space: 2020 -- Not to be confused with Space: 1999.
- Dinner for nine billion.
- SETI opens its doors to ‘citizen scientists’.
- New ‘Phoenix Lights’ documentary airs in the UK.
- A brief history of basically everything… the flip book.
Danke to RPJ, GT and Airminded.
Quote of the Day:
“Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler…”
This Wednesday night I had the privilege of meeting, talking to, and shaking hands with one of the best writers in the world.
It cost me my best jacket, too —but what the frak! it was *so* worth it :)
- Seth Shostak wants geeks & citizen scientists to become alien hunters —for the rest of us retards, there's always the MIB application.
- Is State Trooper Johnson a better UFO eyewitness than me? (OK, don't answer that) Paul Kimball shares his thoughts.
- Strange mushroom-like object caught on photograph at Honiton, England. Is ET hinting at something here?
- Blown Into Smithereens and Coming Back Together: Video of experiences with Ayahuasca & San Pedro in Peru.
- Can we contact our beloved departed without and NDE *or* a medium? in this excerpt from 'Magic, Mysticism & The Molecule', Micah Hanks discusses his personal experiences with Dr. Moody's psychomanteum [Amazon US & UK].
- If you're rich and you get tired of super-cars, top models and cocaine, where do you go from there? how about buying yourself a ghost town? now that's what I call long-future investment!
- ‘Heads I Win, Tails You Lose’: How parapsychologists nullify null results —null nullyfying numbs noobs.
- Unusual rhythms: the (nearly) forgotten anomalies of Frank Brown.
- The Return of The Werewolf, or how Che Guevara liked to howl at the Moon.
- Should we clone Neanderthals? Hell, yeah! I'm sure they won't hold any grudges for having exterminated them.
- 4000-year-old Inuk's balding head has become one of the greatest gifts for modern Anthropology —though I'm sure that comes as a poor consolation for the poor guy.
- There's a monkey loose in Darwin, and a God laughing in the Universe.
- New solar probe launch stalled by weather —laughing His/Her ass off, I tell you!
- Einstein was autistic? well, that depends on how you measure it.
- Can battlefield robots take the place of soldiers? What I worry about is they take the place of GENERALS...
- Hey, Perceval: be on the lookout for those bloody snow daleks!
- [Video] William Gibson on conspiracy theories (Click on the link and the NSA will know).
- LOTR amateur prequel Born Of Hope, made on a budget of just £25,000, is already a success, with more than 500,000 people viewing it for free on the internet [Trailer] [Full-length one-hour movie].
- Dramatic images of WTC collapse on 9/11 made public for the first time.
- "Is that trouble?": chilling home video of the destruction of the Challenger, forgotten and now available —after someone finally found a Beta VCR, remember those?
- And finally, some eye candy for cat-lovers: First video of clouded leopard.
Thanks to Rick, Kat, Greg & to Maestro Carlos.
Quote of the Day:
"Education does not bring us closer to the Truth, but to the search for the Truth"
I think there's enough leftover for RPJ tomorrow.
- Radical theory of what came before the Big Bang proposed by physicists.
- NASA finds evidence of liquid water on Saturn's moon Enceladus.
- Tree carving in California hints at ancient astronomy.
- Sumatran tiger may be extinct within 5 years.
- Less than two dozen Amur tigers are left in the wild of Siberia/China.
- Birds may use their feathers to feel their surroundings just as cats use their whiskers.
- Awww, photos of a cat who befriended a deer.
- First full-body true colour rendering of a feathered dinosaur.
- 165-million-year-old spider fossil: you can see the hairs on its legs!
- Extremely rare video of a giant oar-fish in Gulf of Mexico.
- Why are Galapagos sea lions moving to Peru? Better than outer space.
- Glyphs & stucco portrait among finds in Maya military chief's tomb.
- 1800-year-old Greek church in Turkey to be restored.
- Iran cuts ties with British Museum over Cyrus Cylinder (not nukes!).
- Pentagon wants to breed immortal synthetic organisms, with kill switch.
- Third-hand smoke found on hair & clothing just as dangerous as cigarette fumes.
- India awaits GM crop greenlight despite scientists' warnings. The photo is priceless.
- Study links sugary soft drinks to pancreas cancer. So glad I quit.
- Could frankincense be a cure for cancer? No, not Frankenstein, RPJ. ;-)
- Air passengers stunned by talking robot. So that's what the CIA uses for Osama.
- Robot Princess & The Seven Dwarfs: robot stars in South Korean play. With all the botox, most 'human' actors are robots anyway.
- Nick Redfern is annoyed with the straight-laced seriousness of the modern UFO research movement. Just trying to make it a legit business imho.
- A plethora of UFO theories that don't involve space-traveling aliens.
- Billy Cox laments the lack of Roswell stuff in FOIA docs.
- Angry Norwegians in scuba gear chase after Google street view car.
Quote of the Day:
"True love is a discipline in which each divines the secret self of the other and refuses to believe in the mere daily self."
William Butler Yeats
More accuracy is often just real change...
- Easy equals true.
- When your brain gets the joke.
- More evidence of water on Enceladus.
- Seemingly loopy technique could dramatically improve communications networks.
- Pentagon looks to breed immortal synthetic organisms.
- Paralyzing the frown muscles inhibits the ability to understand anger and sadness.
- Which organs can I live without and how much can I get for them?
- The interconnected sun. Part One. Part Two.
- At last we will know how bright the stars really are.
- Founders of British obstetrics were callous murderers.
- A tree carving in California: ancient astronomers?
- Photosynthetic slugs.
- Electric planes could transform how we fly.
- New theory on the origin of primates.
Quote of the Day:
No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings.
... not to reproduce what we can already see, but to make visible what we cannot
- Hedgehenge: Evidence of encircling hedges at Stonehenge. Hence the toy hedgehog found buried with a child there recently?!
- Last speaker of Bo, one of the world's most ancient languages, dies.
- Leon Botha, one of the world's oldest Progeria survivors, talks about spirituality, identity and leaving a lasting legacy. Here's more of his work. Great counterpoint to last week's Boing-Boing-facilitated viral explosion of the mock-trash Die Antwoord project.
- Fractal universe.
- African fractals and the origins of computing.
- If the universe is a fractal, is it a program?
- The Secret of Kells - a new animated movie based on the Book of Kells, from the creators of Skunk Fu.
- 'Zen' Bats hit their target by not aiming at it.
- Adam's family jewels and the uncensored bible.
- Pretty Suicide Machine, an in-progress essay from James Curcio's Immanence of Myth anthology.
- Eternal slavery: DARPA to breed immortal ‘Synthetic Organisms’ with molecular kill-switches.
- Japanese scientists create elastic water.
- Déjà Vu, Consciousness, Time & English Pubs, from the Dark Philosopher.
- Bruce Sterling on atemporality (if you have time).
- Wanted: mystery worshippers.
- Devotees track down an unwilling Messiah via the web. 'Now listen 'ere!...'.
- Neanderthals in Poland ate cave bears.
- Glorious Gargoyles.
Quote of the Day:
The invisible & the non-existent often look very much alike.
Reality is the new myth
- Hot footage! Researcher Mike Green captures 'Bigfoot' on thermal imaging camera.
- If E.T. rings, let it go to voicemail?
- Beware of the cat. Cat predicts 50 deaths in RI nursing home. Or is it causing them?!
- 'Vegetative' patient communicates via brain scans (Original journal article here).
- Soon, everything you buy may be coated with spray-on liquid glass.
- How to teleport energy.
- The whale whisperer.
- The extinct Titanoboa, the largest ever snake, devoured crocs. Now who's the daddy?
- Some children in the UK think that sheep lay eggs, butterflies make cheese, and bacon comes from peacocks. Let's hope they don't become geneticists.
- What do you get when you cross endangered sea-life with the Women's Institute via the Institute for Figuring? Why, a crocheted hyperbolic coral reef, of course.
- What do you get when you search for the Illuminati backwards? itanimulli.com!
- Obscura Day 2010 - an international celebration of wondrous, curious, and esoteric places. Want to take part?
- Are you ignoring the news?
- Space junk on Moon to become 'World' Heritage Site?
- Is primordial soup off the menu?
- Going down on Virgin.
- The invisible man.
- 10 'false flags' that changed the world.
- And one for our resident designer in 3D, RPJ: the unhappy hipsters.
Quote of the Day:
But my dear man, reality is only a Rorschach ink-blot, you know.
I don't know about you, but I feel more like an alien from inner space.
- All humans are 'aliens from outer space', says a leading British scientist.
- Abstract thoughts? The body takes them literally.
- Hubble snaps hypervelocity collision between asteroids.
- Skeptics continue to offer profound wisdom on UFOs. Or not.
- Searching for signatures of interstellar archaeology.
- Did giant meteorites slam Earth around AD 500?
- Solar storms could disrupt TV coverage of 2012 Olympics; new NASA satellite will predict what's coming.
- Cosmic Log: Dodging the arrow of time.
- Scientists explain why Clint Eastwood and John Wayne always win their shoot-outs. Steven Seagal could have told them that years ago.
- Mice given extra doses of new magnesium compound had better working memory, long-term memory and greater learning ability.
- Everywhere in a Flash: The quantum physics of photosynthesis.
- The Lancet retracts 1998 paper linking autism to vaccines.
- Researcher who started the vaccine-autism debate accused of unethical behaviour.
- Sweat and blood: Why mosquitoes pick and choose between humans.
- New tyrannosaur had more teeth than T. Rex.
- Trails found in rocks dating back 565 million years are thought to be earliest evidence of animal locomotion ever found.
- Torrential rains in Bolivia cause partial collapse of a giant limestone wall covered with dinosaur tracks -- revealing more dinosaur tracks.
- Traditionally they've been painted as a noble mission. Now, two new books tell the gruesome reality of the Very Unholy Crusades.
- Archaeologists in Britain claim to have discovered a part of an ancient Roman law code previously thought to have been lost forever.
- Long lost theory on Silbury Hill is uncovered.
- Early draft of US Constitution found in Philadelphia.
- China through Victorian eyes.
- In China underworld, hacking for fun and profit.
- Pentagon's black budget tops $56 billion, with total 'defense' spending to top $740 billion. Meanwhile...
- Pentagon funds Spider-Man tech for real-life wall crawlers.
Big thanks to Greg and Red Pill Junkie.
Quote of the Day:
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Fnord is not a Norwegian word.
- Hubble photographs mysteriously-shaped UFO traveling at 10'000mph. That's right, Bad Astromoner -- the Hubble Space Telescope. Hrmm, looks Klingon...
- Jupiter's moon Europa is the solar system's best bet for ET life.
- Support for the panspermia theory (life on Earth was 'seeded' by microbes from space) gathers momentum.
- The UFO Mystic looks at hot women from Venus, but no snu-snu.
- Instead of waiting for UFO disclosure, sit back & watch a movie.
- Letters more than 230 years old detail forgotten theory on Silbury Hill.
- Ancient shipwreck off coast of Greek island new archaeological site.
- Egypt tightens penalties for relic thieves & smugglers. Forced to watch video of Zahi, A Clockwork Orange style.
- King Zahi to announce King Tut's family lineage this month.
- Paul Sussman shares his experiences excavating the Amarna Royal Tombs in Egypt.
- DNA tests reveal East Asian ancestory for 2000-year-old Roman bones.
- Three Neanderthal teeth were found in a cave in Poland.
- Brilliant photos from Nat Geo of the 'mythical' temple found in Peru.
- Shifting consciousness: six years with Yogis & Tibetan Buddhists.
- Jeremy Narby discusses ayahuasca, an excerpt from The Psychotropic Mind (Amazon).
- The birth of the Illuminati conspiracy. Imagine the pregnancy...
- Robert Anton Wilson: how many freemasons does it take to change a lightbulb?
- Pentagon's 'black ops' budget tops $56billion. Does it cover their lunches?
- U.S.A.'s Captain Obvious admits 'war on drugs' a disaster.
- U.S. Navy may limit sonar tests to prevent whale beachings. Emphasis on 'may'.
- Bonobos are more evolved than we bipedal apes -- they share communally.
Thanks to bleepingdeadalien.
Quote of the Day:
The Pope being a dick doesn't discredit religion just as Dawkins being a dick doesn't discredit science.
John Reppion, who's copping a lot of flak but -- we Grailers 'get' it. ;-)
Homeopathy is taking a bashing. Anyone remember Benveniste?
- Global warming science implodes overseas: American media silent.
- Mythical temple found in Peru.
- Smart Dust? Not quite, but we’re getting there.
- How Paulson's people colluded with Goldman to destroy AIG and get a backdoor bailout.
- Obama cancels moon project.
- Twins' different DNA sparks parents' divorce.
- Sceptics stage homeopathy overdose. More here.
- Bloom and bust: how volcanoes suffocated ocean life.
- The Grasping Hand: The modern democratic state pillages its productive citizens.
- A skeptic's skeptic.
- What to get the man who has everything? An underwater plane of course.
- Paying zero for public services.
- Laser fusion test results raise energy hopes.
- DNA testing on 2000 year-old bones in Italy reveal East Asian ancestry.
- Fetid fish revise understanding of fossil formation.
Quote of the Day:
I have learned to use the word 'impossible' with the greatest caution.
Wernher von Braun
A palindrome of news:
- Zoooom! Bullet trains are coming to America —instead of a Moon base, I take it.
- Is 2010 the year of Nuclear Fusion? That all depends on the hohlraum —huh??.
- Time Travelling for Dummies, by Sean Carroll.
- 'Firefly' satellite to study terrestrial gamma-ray flashes —Is NASA preparing for 2012?
- What was that jellyfish thingy photographed near a Northern light? Craig Woolheater investigates this case at UFOMystic.
- HAARP deletes its records from 2010-1-11. Meanwhile, Colin Andrews investigates some pretty odd radar weather data in Australia —what the...
- Bin Laden, the ecologist —because Climategate was just not enough to demonize the environmental movement, was it?
- Internal warfare; environmental degradation; what caused the Mayan collapse? A newly discovered Mayan tomb may shed the answers.
- 6 creepy animal behaviors that Science can't explain —according to the Cracked foul-mouthed scholars.
- Playing with your food? 3 cheetahs spare tiny antelope's life *scratches his head* @_@
- New "destroyer" dinosaur found. Not as impressive as the Decepticon dinosaur in my imagination —kill the Autobots! kill!!
- Step aside, Archeopteryx: Haplocheirus sollers is 15 to 20 million years older in the bird family tree.
- 'Supersized' monarch butterflies evolved to fly far... and destroy Mexico city.
- Solastalgia: Is there an ecological unconscious?
- [Video] Wade Davis on the relevance of ancient wisdom in our modern world —or why you should learn how to make a knife out of s*#t like an Inuit.
- Finding a better way to grieve the death of a loved one. On Death and Dying [Amazon US & UK].
- The Da Vinci Drag: Did Leonardo paint himself as 'Mona Lisa'?
- The Japanese think the best engineer to design subway stations is slime mold— it doesn't complain about double shifts too.
- The French choose yet-another another battleground for their never ending quarrel with the British: the G spot. —Mon Dieu...
- First Russian stealth fighter takes flight... for what exactly, no one can see yet.
- Pee-Wee Herman gets an iPad... & I can't make a snarky comment on it, 'cause I used to <3 his program when I was a kid.
A howling thanks to Kat & Perceval.
Quote of the Day:
"What's real? What's not? That's what I do in my act, test how other people deal with reality".