Moving house at the moment, so it's hit and run...
- Want to put that new discovery about the size of the Universe into perspective? Here's a good attempt, but it still boggles the brain. Not quite the Total Perspective Vortex, but who can afford to have that sense of perspective?
- Vaguely related to the Hitchhikers Guide, Jodrell Bank to be hooked up with 5 other telescopes in the UK to create an array named Merlin.
- Area 51 snoops dig up trouble.
- A genetic deficiency has linked anxiety and alcholism, with deficient mice drinking 50% more alcohol than healthy counterparts. I just want to see the little wine glasses they use, must be tiny.
- Volcanic eruption in Iceland may have killed upwards of 10,000 people in England in 1783.
- Buddha's new birthplace discovered?
- Most dinosaurs fried within hours of asteroid impact says study. Mmmm, brontosaurus burger.
- History repeating on a small scale - Rafah Zoo levelled by Israeli tanks.
- Research finds that full Moon is not to blame for epilectic seizures.
- Robert Ballard says the wreck of the Titanic is being destroyed by film crews, tourist operators and trophy hunters. How the heck do you get married on the bow of a ship more than 3 kilometres underwater?
- Author of physics and occult books, and one-time sparring partner of Joe McCarthy, Al Shadowitz dies.
- An audio report about Easter Island.
- Israeli Antiquities Authority warns that the eastern wall of the Temple Mount is in "immediate danger of collapse."
- A follow-up and debate over the recent finding pushing back the date of human use of fire.
- When a hippopotamus sweats, it's taking good care of itself.
- Ghost snapped at Welsh castle. Is it just me or does it just look like a shadow?
- Scientists have found a way to make a blue rose. Lot of talk about holy grails in the news lately, feeding (seeding?) the meme...
- The cultural and moral divides over the future use of biotech engineering. A worthy topic of discussion.
- Leaked UK report says nuclear plants are vulnerable to a terrorist attack which could kill millions.
- The Telepathic Cat: an excerpt from Ghost Stories of Pets and Animals.
- While humans and chimps might be close on the genetic level, the chromosomes tell a different story.
- Vampire bats kill 22 in Brazil. Van Helsing, get yourself out of that crappy movie and do something worthwhile with your time!
- An Astrobiology chat with science author and physicist Lawrence Krauss.
- Mini-microbes redefine the planetary requirements for life.
Quote of the Day:
We have only to believe. And the more threatening and irreducible reality appears, the more firmly and desperately we must believe. Then, little by little, we shall see the universal horror unbend, and then smile upon us, and then take us in its more than human arms.
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin